cs144 alternator upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

1972cutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2009
I want to upgrade my original alternator to a cs130 or a cs144. I think im going with the cs144, my 1982 buick regal has the idiot lights on it like temp,brake etc. But none of the idiot lights are hooked up to the engine, and i have aftermarket guages hooked up so in this case i think i might need a resistor in the adapter i would use. If i dont need a resitor do i just splice the wires from the car harness to the wireing harness on the cs144 right. Can some one shed some light on this? And if i need the resistor can this be homemade for cheaper.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
In Picture #1 shows part number EC82 with the resistor, cuase it has the black tape were the resistor is...WITHOUT IDIOT LIGHT

In Picture#2 shows part number EC80 with out resistor, shows no black tape wire..WITH IDIOT LIGHT

Attachments

• 103115.jpg
    103115.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 834
  • 103116.jpg
    103116.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,636

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
You need a resistor if you don't have the idiot lights hooked up. Otherwise the alternator isn't going to charge properly.

I used one of the above adapters but I cut the adapter plug off and the stock plug off the car wiring harness and hardwired everything. Works just fine.

However if you ever plan to go back to the stock style alternator, you may just want to keep the adapter as is so you can unplug it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor