Help with 85 Elky headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Ok.... Front and rear parklights work but none of the four headlights work. I checked the fuses, none blown, checked the sealed headlights and they are fine, changed the light switch in the dash, used a voltage tester on the wiring at the headlight connection and I have power at the lights, Still no headlights. Any ideas???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the ground for the headlights must be open

Headlights.jpg

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Thanks for the schematic GP. I found where the ground wires on each side come out of the light harness and attach to the radiator support, they appeared to be solidly connected but I unscrewed them and put them back in and screwed them in tightly, still nothing. Any thoughts?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the headlites are good, there is power at the lites and the lites are grounded but they don't work? Did you test the lite socket from the back side or did you pull it off from the lite to test the power and the ground?

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
I pulled the connector off the light and stuck the ground clip of the tester into the side of the connector the black wire goes into and the point of the voltage tester into the green wire side and the light comes on in the tester. This has me stumped!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would unplug the left to see if the right works if not then unplug the right and try the left side to see if one of the lights is shorting...if neither of the lites work then I would try different lites

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Thanks for sticking with me on this one GP. Tried unplugging a side at a time and no luck there either. I also just replaced all 4 headlights today as well so I don't think it's the lights. I guess I'm headed to the Chevy "stealership" in the morning. Man, I hate that!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure have 12 volts at the lites? I would replace the ground wires. A weak ground will still lite up a test lite but put a heavy load on it the ground will fail

Brownianl

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
East Texas
Not sure if I've got 12 at the lights. Replace ground wires? From lights to firewall?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The lites aren't grounded to the firewall. You can ground them to any metal area near the lites, that is as long as the body is properly grounded. These cars are known for their poor grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor