Horn not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
I attempted to replace the stock horns with replacement horns from RockAuto, and learned that the green horn wire isn't supplying a current. Anyone know what the issue might be?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
fuse?

Horns.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for the diagram. I checked the CTSY CLK fuse, and discovered there was a 25amp fuse installed instead of a 20amp. I'm not sure if that matters, but I switched it out. I rechecked the green horn wire with my multi-meter. I still don't have voltage to the green horn wire. Any idea how I would go about checking the horn relay? Just to note, each time I press on the steering wheel horn button, I hear a "clicking" sound.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the diagram. I checked the CTSY CLK fuse, and discovered there was a 25amp fuse installed instead of a 20amp. I'm not sure if that matters, but I switched it out. I rechecked the green horn wire with my multi-meter. I still don't have voltage to the green horn wire. Any idea how I would go about checking the horn relay? Just to note, each time I press on the steering wheel horn button, I hear a "clicking" sound.
I'm honestly not sure where the horn relay is in these cars but my guess would be near the fuse box. The clicking you are hearing is likely the horn relay.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
I'm hoping the clicking sound is a good sign. Though, I read somewhere that a relay might still be bad even if it clicks. I just learned that the horn relay is located behind the dash, way they heck up near and to the left of the steering wheel. It's almost impossible to reach by hand, and will more than likely require me to remove the dash panel.

First check the wire on inside of the car since the relay seems to click. All those wires pass through the firewall in the junction block near the column.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
For the Cutlass, it's to the left of the steering wheel, behind the rear defroster button.

I moved the driver seat as far back as possible, then I unscrewed the insulation panel under the steering wheel, engaged the foot brake, and removed part of the duct that runs above the gas and brake petals.

The best position for me was to get the right side of my head to rest by the brake petal. I used my feet and back to keep me in place, with my feet on the ground outside of the car.

The relay is held in place by a clip that fastens to just one side of the relay switch. I used a long screwdriver to unfasten the clip, and then pried the relay out of position.

This wasn't easy, and it took me several attempts before I was able to figure it out the best approach to use. There wasn't much room to work with down there. I guess removing the dash would have been easier, but I didn't want to go through all of that work, and risk damaging something else.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My favorite bumper sticker is relevant again.
honk_if_your_horn_is_broken_bumper_sticker-r1b0351391df14cbdb46060b1978a9947_v9wht_8byvr_630.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor