i need an 86-up GP brake light schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i want to see how the third brake light is wired in so when i put one in i know where to wire it up.

j_tizzle_84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2009
maple shade new jersey
here you go hope this help its what shopkey5 has
regal.gif

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
i want to see how the third brake light is wired in so when i put one in i know where to wire it up.
I'm not trying to sound like a smart *ss, but isn't a brake light wireing harness fairly simple...?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
2fit661ca said:
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
I'm not trying to sound like a smart *ss, but isn't a brake light wireing harness fairly simple...?

the bulbs have two filaments and they each have their own wire. one for constant on in park or headlights on position and one that comes on when you use the brake pedal. so if i wire it into the driver's side wire for example when i make left turns my brake light will flash, it will not flash when i make right turns but will come on if i use the brake pedal. i need to know how they wired it in so it came on when you used the brake pedal but not when you use your turn signal.

make sense now? my only idea is to run a wire to the brake switch and i dont like that but i may have to since i have an 85 and they didnt come with the third brake light so the harness doesnt have a provision for a third brake light hence my need for the schematic.

ok i checked and it does look like i'll have to run a wire all the way to the switch, the schematic shows brake light switch with a lt blue wire to the light and black to ground. i dont have a lt blue wire in my harness as i suspected i wouldnt.

and thanks to j tizzle

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
ok i checked and it does look like i'll have to run a wire all the way to the switch, the schematic shows brake light switch with a lt blue wire to the light and black to ground. i dont have a lt blue wire in my harness as i suspected i wouldnt.

I ran a wire from the light to the brake switch after finding out the same. Worked great till i used a prybar to press down on the brake pedal for something i was doing :roll: it constantly being on melted the top cover of my brake light :x Of course it had to happen after i painted it to match my interior...Oh well i have another one to replace it with.

j_tizzle_84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2009
maple shade new jersey
no problem let me know if you need anything else for any car as i have access to shop key online.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
hold long did that take to melt, out of curiosity?

I had it for at least 3 hours cuz i went inside and got sidetracked.. :lol:

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
2fit661ca said:
G_Body_Enthusiast said:

the bulbs have two filaments and they each have their own wire. one for constant on in park or headlights on position and one that comes on when you use the brake pedal. so if i wire it into the driver's side wire for example when i make left turns my brake light will flash, it will not flash when i make right turns but will come on if i use the brake pedal. i need to know how they wired it in so it came on when you used the brake pedal but not when you use your turn signal.

make sense now? my only idea is to run a wire to the brake switch and i dont like that but i may have to since i have an 85 and they didnt come with the third brake light so the harness doesnt have a provision for a third brake light hence my need for the schematic.

and thanks to j tizzle

Oh, okay. Maybe a schematic would help. lol, no offence, right?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
yeah it seems like an easy thing and it is but i wanted to make sure that was how they had it set up. before i decided to put one in without checking first. no sense in making a mistake if i can avoid it.

even if it seems easy i like to make sure just in case. i only have one car and i dont want to hack into the wiring and get it wrong and then have to fix it. every time you make a splice you add the potential for future resistance in the circuit and that can lead to bad things. wiring works best when you leave it intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor