Installing Tachometer (updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
So, I looked harder at Evil's fuse block picture and I think that the spot he is using, in reference to my fuse block, is where the red wire connects in between the A/C fuse and the 30watt silver fuse. I am very hesitant to try and mess with this...

The general consensus I'm reading is that the brown wire is the one that I want to hook up my white wire to, in order for the gauge light to turn on only when the headlights are on. My Haynes manual seems to confirm this, as a brown wire appears to eventually trickle down to the instrument cluster.

I can see a brown wire connecting to my headlight switch. If I splice my white wire anywhere along that brown wire, that should do the trick. Am I thinking correctly about this?

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
-83MONTESS- said:
Im not an expert at wiring but I ran a wire rom the fuse block and then spliced all the specific wires into that wire.

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing. I just hope a fuse isn't needed in between the fuse block and the gauges.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Finally got mine working correctly...Mr Evils' post actually threw me off (I know it was good intentions tho). So thought I'd post this for other readers who might find it useful.
I don't have a fuse spot marked "ILL" but I do have one marked "INST" with a 5amp fuse.
fuse.jpg

I had to carefully bend the spade connetor and inserted it first, then I forced in the fuse.

Works :D
dash.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
That tach looks right at home! Now that this is brought up can someone tell me which fuse is for the brake lights? I see the fuse for the taillights but I dont see brake lights anywhere or is it the same? My brake lights still dont work and im trying to narrow it down but most of the words on the fuse block are worn off :x

Rooster

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks to all who posted- I know this thread is old but, for those who are new, The "search engine" is still a thing of beauty.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Glad it was helpful, I can't believe I missed all the other posts! Sorry to moose for leaving you out there on that one, not sure how I missed your question.

My car is an 86 so I guess the fuse blocks vary between years?

Edit: FWIW it is always safer to have a fuse inline anytime you are running power. If it is coming off the 'out' side of the fuse as moose was able to do, I believe it's safe, otherwise you can run an inline up the wire. As far as power, for a tach I would want a 'switched' 12v source, meaning it's only hot when key is in 'on' position, and fused along the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor