New from France

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Jack, here's a diagram for wiring for the rear lights on the US wagon..the reverse lights are on a separate circuit

RearLightsWagon.jpg

BackupLights.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the rear wiring diagrams, Steve.
I'm thinking that the USA wiring and bulb socket locations (and wiring configuration) are different from the European lights. I'm willing to give it a try though. I think a few of the sockets are the 194 type and the rest are for the 1156/ 57 type.
I'll post a pic or two of the back of the lights as well as the front.

Steve, you wouldn't happen to have the European taillight wiring diagram...would you?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sebastian,
Here's some pictures of my USA lenses. They're in very nice shape, no cracks. There is alittle silver paint worn off the tops, but that can be repainted. These actually came from an '83 Malibu wagon.
MVC-831S.jpg

MVC-834S.jpg

MVC-833S.jpg

MVC-832S.jpg

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
The euro taillights look like the same mold as my original '78 lenses. I will dig them out and get a comparative picture. I updated my taillights and rear harness to an '82 unit.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
crowconcepts said:
The euro taillights look like the same mold as my original '78 lenses. I will dig them out and get a comparative picture. I updated my taillights and rear harness to an '82 unit.
Thanks, that would be awesome.
I know that the Euro back-up lenses are in the same position as the '78 lenses. I've never seen the backside of a '78 lens, so I'm wondering if the sockets are configured similarly. I notice that the Euro lenses don't use the 194 sockets at all. I would guess that the '78's also use the 194 type bulbs as the '79-'83 type lenses.
Anyway, yes I would like the see the back of a '78 lens. Boy, have I opened up a can of worms... :lol: I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
I will find them tomorrow when I get to the shop for work. And try to get a picture posted ASAP for the group.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
crowconcepts said:
I will find them tomorrow when I get to the shop for work. And try to get a picture posted ASAP for the group.
Once again, thank you! It would be much appreciated. :wink:

Jack, Very Nice your USA Tail Light.
Now I Know why I Traces Silver Paint of my Tail Light, so there no Silver on mine.

Probably to modified Wiring Harness for euro Light because it has three Bulbs.

I think I have American Wiring harness of my Wagon because before all light wiring is resoldered.
example: Front Fender light is Turn signal. (French approval :x )

480775bu10.png

I handed parking light as the USA :wink:

Good Night

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
sebastian305 said:
Jack, Very Nice USA Tail Light.
Now I Know why I Traces Silver Paint of my Tail Light, so there Silver on mine.

Probably to modified Wiring Harness for euro Light because it has three Bulbs.

I think I have American Wiring harness of my Wagon because before all light wiring is resoldered.
example: Front Fender light is Turn signal. (French approval :x )
I handed parking light as the USA :wink:
Yes, I notice you have amber lights in front where it would be white in the U.S...and you're using better H4 headlights.

Sebastian,
It looks like I would have to modify the taillight wiring on mine. What did the wiring on the black car look like?
I was thinking, on yours, the resoldering could also be when they modified the wiring for trailer lights. I have an extra USA taillight harness, but it had been "hacked up" for trailer lighting. (I can take a picture of it).
Maybe if I could get an idea of what color wires went to each different socket, it would be easier to figure out.
Hopefully, there wasn't any other modifications done further up the main wiring harness...probably not.
I just realized that your front side marker lights are now turnsignal indicators to comply with the French laws. How interesting.
Would your car still comply to the French laws with USA taillights?
Good night!

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
Here are some pictures of my original 78 taillights, they are shattered and pretty rough.

Attachments

• IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 551
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 526
  • IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 550
  • IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 529
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor