Partial fuse box down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
IMG_1722.PNG

Well this weekend I did a boo boo while trying to dehack and rewire a few things under my dash. Now everywhere it says ignition isn't working. They usually power up with the key. I know there is a fuseable link by the starter. I haven't checked it yet but everything radio, lights, signals, all seems to be working except just those.
Anyone know if there is another fuse just for those?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you sure that diagram is for your car, I've never seen the instrument lights is 25 amps, I've only seem them with 5. In my GP the Stop/Hazards is 20 amps, not 25. Gauges, tail lamp and turn signal fuses are 20 amps, not 30

Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Are you sure that diagram is for your car, I've never seen the instrument lights is 25 amps, I've only seem them with 5. In my GP the Stop/Hazards is 20 amps, not 25. Gauges, tail lamp and turn signal fuses are 20 amps, not 30

This is a pic I found online just to better explain what isn't working. It isn't exact but its close looking. I spoke to a customer (mechanic) and he told me there are probably like 3 fusable links by the starter and for sure its one of them. He also told me just to pull on them one at a time and one will feel rubbery might even come apart, that obviously is the bad one. Originally I thought there was only one and in the write ups I saw the things that werent working were different than mine so i thought there might be something else.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you look at the diagram for the starter system you'll see there is two fusible links coming from the solenoid. There isn't 3 fusible links

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I see that about the 2 links. I didn't have a chance to look through it earlier. That's cool I guess one of them is blown due to me being a dumb *ss and pulling on a wire without checking if it had power first.
For now I'm going to see if Napa has one or order it online. My fuel pump is hooked up to one of those but I can temporarily put it somewhere else if I need to. I would like to swap that set up for something up top in case I ever blow one of those again I don't have to get under the car to reach it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use a Ford style remote solenoid that is mounted on the wheel housing so the fusible links are accessible from the engine compartment.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I use a Ford style remote solenoid that is mounted on the wheel housing so the fusible links are accessible from the engine compartment.

That sounds cool, anychange you can take a pic at some point and post it. No rush I dont use the car as a daily so when ever you get around to it. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll get a pic for you, there is quite a few of us using a Ford style solenoid. I like it since with headers I only have one wire going to the starter which is only live when I am starting the car. I don't have to worry about routing the wires to make sure they don't get fried from the headers.

here is a good video on making a fusible link, jump to the 1 minute mark

CutlassJ

Greasemonkey
Oct 30, 2008
Northwest Suburbs IL
I'm have the same issue my fuel pump is wired the same way. I was trying to wire a fan switch and now the fuel pump won't turn on with the ignition. But I'm using the Ford solenoid. I'm not sure what I'm looking for everything else works. Didn't even get that far with the fan put in new connectors and it all stopped working. I'm not the one the originally wired the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor