Removing unnecessary wires when carb-converting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, my Cutlass Supreme 81' engine bay is getting a clean-up. And there's a lot of un-used wires, especially the ones from the ECU (the car had a 3.8 v6 injection before, now a sbc 350).
The engine-swap was done by the previous owner.
Is the ECU no longer needed? Does it control anything in the dash instruments or something?
I'm also doing the AC delete.

ecuwires.jpg

Here is the ECU wires

thegreenwire.jpg

This one was the only cable from the ECU that was still connected to something after the engineswap

connectedtogether.jpg

I noticed the plug the green wire was going into, is further connected to the AC. But on the same connector, another wire is going from there across the engine bay and into the wire loom on the other side. What use could that be for?

I don't think its for any use, but I cannot be 100% sure.

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
i wonder the same thing too. my car has an aftermarket HEI distributor and Edelbrock Carburetor

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
I completely removed the ECM and Heating and Air conditioning from my 84' cutlass. The rubber plug that goes into the firewall which housed the ECM wire harness now is for my Amp power wire.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I ran mine for awhile without any of those wires attached to anything and never noticed any issues. I finally got fed up looking at all the cut wires and installed a Painless wiring harness to clean it up and eliminate any gremlins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor