Wagon license plate light wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hi Y'all,
Just wanted to know where is the plate light wiring routed to? It goes from the tailgate through a rubber tube into what looks like under the cargo floor. Is there a plug or connection underneath there? I'm having an intermittent problem with the light not working. (Most of the times not.) The plug near the left rear corner of fuel tanks looks clean, but I'm just not sure if the plate light is fed through there. Need the damn light to work for inspection. Grrr..
If anyone could help. TIA..

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Dave,
It does in fact route thru the cargo floor. I would check for a bad ground. If I'm not mistaken, there is a separate ground lead....I'm trying to recall.... the senior mind. :confused:

My wiring diagram does indicate a separate ground..black wire...now, if I can remember where it was situated.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
RearLightsWagon.jpg

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hi Dave,
It does in fact route thru the cargo floor. I would check for a bad ground. If I'm not mistaken, there is a separate ground lead....I'm trying to recall.... the senior mind. :confused:

My wiring diagram does indicate a separate ground..black wire...now, if I can remember where it was situated.

Thanks for the input Jack and pontiacgp
I kinda figured there has to be a separate ground. I guess I gotta lift up that rear cargo floor. Was kinda hoping that wasn't the case. If only someone has a pic with the floor off and the wiring underneath. I'd know for sure. Just not crazy about f&*king with those dried out plastic covers over the wheel wells. :p

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Dave,
It doesn't seem like that long ago that I had the cargo floor out of the wagon, but again for the life of me, I don't recall where that ground lead is. I know the one for the fuel sender is right underneath, just forward of the bumper.
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the area.
Perhaps Jim would know. I think his cargo floor might be out of his car.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Dave,
It doesn't seem like that long ago that I had the cargo floor out of the wagon, but again for the life of me, I don't recall where that ground lead is. I know the one for the fuel sender is right underneath, just forward of the bumper.
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the area.
Perhaps Jim would know. I think his cargo floor might be out of his car.
Investigating it today..
Definitely a ground issue. Positive side shows power but with power to the test light from another source and connected to ground on socket no light.. cargo floor looks like a b*tch to remove. I think there might be a ground actually in the tailgate too. i also have the power hatch option and I think the solenoid is grounded inside tailgate.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Ground is inside the tailgate.
I have mine apart, I'll take some pics and post them when I get home.
Thank You
It was inside the tailgate. Was easier than expected. Screw was stripped in the hole and not getting good ground. Just had to remove the plate pocket, already had the inside tailgate panel off.
Been trying to get the lock assembly to stay in and work correctly. The lock hole is kinda fugged up..:(

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor