Wiring issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

whojohnjones

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2010
proxy-1.jpg
so according to this the brown wire starts at the base of the orange wire on the column? Would this be right?

Aug 19, 2016
Cars with the gauge package as original equipment do not have an alt lamp. The brown wire changes to a brown with white stripe wire at the bulkhead connector under the brake booster. The brn/wht wire originates at the ignition switch (powered in "run" , terminal 3) on top of the steering column.

Cars without the gauge package had a brown wire that remained brown at the bulkhead connector and went to the alt indicator lamp.

Looking at 8A-14 C100 is the bulkhead connector. This is the color change Ribbedroof refers to above. Can you locate Br/Wh at bulkhead/ firewall under the dash?

whojohnjones

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2010
Looking at 8A-14 C100 is the bulkhead connector. This is the color change Ribbedroof refers to above. Can you locate Br/Wh at bulkhead/ firewall under the dash?
I haven't had time to it looks like I would have to remove wiper setup to reach it..

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
IIRC, the Brown / White wire sends power from the ignition switch to the alternator to energize the field so it starts charging at 13.8 volts.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I think the brown/white wire gets its voltage from the ignitin via the printed circuit board on the back of the gauges. Check that and make sure you have no shorts or open circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor