My 86 442: update 11/11/14 Auto Gear M22Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Hey guys just wanted to show you all what I picked up last november. The car is a 1986 442 with about 44,000 miles on it. Someone tried their hand at restoring it but didnt get very far. Thats when i bought it, working in a collision shop it wont be hard for me to put her back to what she was brand new.

I paid $1400 for the car, and yes it does have the 8.5 rearend with posi, the car does have t-tops, and did come with an extra set of glass for the roof, along with another back seat and two more sets of tail lights (one set 1981 the other 1984).

Over the winter I have amassed a ton of parts including: all new GM weather stripping, dew sweeps, door sill plates, shift kit for the 2004R, lock up controller for the converter bc the car no longer has a computer, gauge pods, hurst promatic 2 shifter, new carpet, new headliner, new seat upholstery, bilstein shocks, and t top bags.

On top of all that stuff i already have a donor 1986 salon for some parts, and 2 floor pans, 2 rockers, 2 quarter panels, and another trunk lid, along with good fenders and 2 rust free doors I acquired. I do not need to use all these parts to fix the 442 however.

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

360x

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2009
Man, you got a good deal. Seems like everyone is getting good deals on these things but me. A "Real" 442 for that price is good in my opinion. Great find. Can't wait to see it finished. Since you're a good paint/body man, it should look like a killer when done. Get to work. Chop Chop...

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
well the guy originally wanted $1650, then he found out i was going to actully restore the car and not part it out. so he eventually talked himself down, I didnt even have to do any haggling haha. Being only 18 i was pleased with the $1400 price. However Im still trying to decide what colors to paint it. originally the car is black/gray with the goild stripes, but i dont know if i wanna do it up stock or what? I was thinking possibly all black with the gold 442 stripes.

Haha oh yea it used to have that 1987 front end on it bc someone smashed the car in front and all down the drivers side which is why the door with the "442" emblem on it looks a little messed up. Anyways, I have no use for it does anyone potentially want it?

360x

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2009
86-blk442 said:
well the guy originally wanted $1650, then he found out i was going to actully restore the car and not part it out. so he eventually talked himself down, I didnt even have to do any haggling haha. Being only 18 i was pleased with the $1400 price. However Im still trying to decide what colors to paint it. originally the car is black/gray with the goild stripes, but i dont know if i wanna do it up stock or what? I was thinking possibly all black with the gold 442 stripes.

One of The coolest cutless I've ever seen...

http://www.freewebs.com/oldsfe3x/

Black can be awsome. I also dig the Silver,black and gray scheme. Considering doing it myself. I just don't have a Hurst 442 to do it on. You cant have a car that looks like that and gets passed by every car on the highway.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
god i wish i had the money to build something like that, but for now im just gonna roll with the stock theme. I barely ever see an 80's 442 driving around up here, so i think it would be cool to have it be stock looking and maybe turn a few heads of those who know what it is.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
thanks! i have a question about using 5A heads on my 307, i picked up a set from the junk yard along with a stock intake manifold. my question is, is there anything i need to do to the 307 in order to use the heads? i.e. can i still use the same lifters and pushrods and such that are in the motor now, along with the exhaust manifolds that are on my current 7A heads?

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
86-blk442 said:
thanks! i have a question about using 5A heads on my 307, i picked up a set from the junk yard along with a stock intake manifold. my question is, is there anything i need to do to the 307 in order to use the heads? i.e. can i still use the same lifters and pushrods and such that are in the motor now, along with the exhaust manifolds that are on my current 7A heads?

The 5A ports are larger so I believe you should use the exhaust manifolds that came with the 5A heads if you make the switch. I also believe the 5A's had slightly larger chambers. not sure how this affects CR.

The 7A 307 had a roller valvetrain, and of course a roller cam. I don't think you can use the stock 5A valve springs with the 7A valve train. I think the 5A springs are too stiff.

If you are changing the heads, I'd recommend buying an aftermarket intake, or at least the code 9 intake. Whatever you do, though, make sure the intake is for the 5A heads.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Ill bite. I have a 87 Cutlass and I would love to have that front end. How much you looking to get out of it?

PM me if you want. I am in Erie Pa and could probably drive up to get it.

Thanks

Craig

Oh, and I thought I saw that car posted on Craigslist for sale? That isnt you is it? Had the same hood and all. Just curious.

Good score on the car. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor