Disc Brake Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
Someone give me there own personal description of why disc brakes are better for performance. I've been told it's like night and day and I'm sure the only way to truly know is to convert it then experience the difference, but I'm sure everyone see's the dilemma in that. Once it's done, it's already done it doesn't matter at that point I'll be stuck. I am going to make the conversion already so I guess just curious about feedback.. I have an 88' Cutlass Salon with the T-tops.. And I need to know from guys who have experienced this firsthand and give me all insight acquired. I know there is the aftermarket route and conversion I would like to hear from people with experience with both.. Looking to make a move by this weekend so please give me what you got..

Thanks in advance..

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They dissipate heat better, and have a larger piston area acting on the pads.

EastEnder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2009
I cant seen I've driven with both on a G-body, but i have with other cars. The biggest differences is in the stopping distances, ie the disc will stop sooner (its easier to get more power to sqeeze the disc rather than push out on the drum) and disc brakes withh disappate (sp?) heat a lot better than drums, which leads to more consistant braking when your running the car hard. Once the pads and surfaces heat up, it becomes hard to make better contact/ friction between the surfaces..

Hope that helps some.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I have done a few front drum-to-disc conversions and the improvement was dramatic. I don't know about the rear drum-to-disc, though. Since brake bias is usually about 70% front / 30% rear, I would imagine that you would reach a point of diminishing return and start to skid the rear. I think it's a balancing act.

waggin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2009
Puget Sound, WA
When you change the rears to disc, you'll probably want to use an adjustable proportioning valve, as I don't think the nonadjustable stocker that's set up for disc front & drum rear will work correctly any more. As far as braking power, someone else can chime in w/more expertise, but I believe that rear discs will improve stopping distance on whatever percentage is there. So on the hypothetical 70/30, you still want to improve the 30 part if possible. Also, can't you modulate(?) or control threshold (just before lockup) braking better w/discs?

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I personally think that it's not only better for obvious performance reasons, but also safer. I bought my latest Cutlass with 4 wheel disc brakes already on it. The rears are even oversize as well. The stopping power of this car is amazing.

It's a full weight car and I can stop on a dime. There's no brake fade when the brakes heat up. My first Cutlass was a stock '86. We were being chased and making so many turns and stomping on the brakes enough to make the fronts glow. After then it took the car forever to stop.

I already had some ppl stop quick in front of me with my new Cutlass and those brakes saved me from a collision. I think I posted about it but I also had a deer run in front of my car about a week after I bought it. I was able to stop in about 20 feet without locking up the brakes while going about 35 mph. Distance is a rough guess, but it was quick and I was VERY happy to not smoke that deer. I am certain if my car had stock brakes I would have hit the deer

4 wheel disc really makes the car feel more like a modern car when driving it. I don't think you will be disappointed. I don't know anything about adjusting front/rear brake ratios, so what everyone said about that is probably really important. Without a good ratio I think you can spin the car out or something ???

Blackboy23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2009
Always near Chicago
Loving all the feedback, and as I expected it to be, 100% say it's the way to go. So my next question is how??

I read that you could bolt a disc brake set up from a Trans Am directly to G-body cutlass with no mod.. Sounds too good to be true and at the point I'm at now, I'd rather spend the money than create the headache. I'm young, but I've been around the block a few times with rear ends and gear ratio's so what's my best course of action for completing the disc brake conversion.

Aftermarket, I know Wilwood and Bear-brakes, and Heigdt( not spelling that right I'm sure.. But has anyone used any of these or any others..
or
the U Pull it junk yard..

Pros and Cons both ways if you guys don't mind..

Thanks in advance...

Check out my other post for my 403 if you don't mind as I am quickly finding out that you guys are going to be the Phil Jackson of my triangle offense before I call any plays from now on..

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Blackboy23 said:
Loving all the feedback, and as I expected it to be, 100% say it's the way to go. So my next question is how??

Yeah, I don't know. :) I know it's bad, but I suck with cars, I'm still learning. Anyway, here's what mine looks like with 16" rims.

I was told the brakes on my car are: "spindle 79 full size chevy with 12" rotors". Oh, it might be worth mentioning however that my car has a Ford 9" rear end. I was just thinking that may limit what you can put on your car if yours has a stock rear end. I don't know about that.

o185178060.jpg

I didn't realize it until I was looking at some pics of stock Cutlasses, but I think my master cylinder is also beefed up substantially:

o185178044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor