The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero

1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

The place to put your detailed build threads, basically your journal of activity for your car. Whether you've just started, just finished, or are somewhere in the middle.
FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Postby FE3X CLONE on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:47 am

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - FE3X Pro-touring project

Figured I'd post a build thread that I can update a little more easily than my first "welcome the newbie" post. LOL

Started off as just a repaint and fix a few rust issues. But, as we moved along the rust was a little more extensive and then we got into the "might-as-wells". Notched and boxed the frame to start, new body mounts, then I bought a rotisserie and worked on the bottom of the car.
Seven years later and it's really close. Still need a drive shaft, paint, finish interior along with tuning on the EFI more. Hoping to have it back on the road next year sometime *fingers crossed*

Engine:

Block - 1976 455 bored .060" over (468 cid)
2-bolt billet steel main caps, line bored
ARP main studs
Head bolt holed drilled and tapped for 1/2" head studs

Crank - Forged 425 steel crank, offset ground to 4.25" stroke and BBC rod journal

Rods - Manley aluminum 6.990" with ARP bolts

Pistons - Arias forged aluminum flat tops. 11.3:1 compression

Heads - Edelbrock Performer RPM with upgraded 2.120" int/1.710" exh. valves (under cut and swirl polished), Isky double valve springs, Harland Sharp aluminum roller rockers, Jomar stud girdles. Combustion chambers fully polished along with exhaust bowls and runners.

Camshaft - Crane Cams Hydraulic roller. 242/254 duration @ .050, .595"/.595" lift, 114LS. Comp Cams roller lifters, Manley 3/8" hardened pushrods.

Intake - Offenhauser Super-sonic (4500 Dominator flange) Modified for port EFI.

Throttle Body - Edelbrock 1600cfm Dominator flange

Fuel Injectors - Bosch 42lb/hr

ECM - Megasquirt v2.2 with fuel and ignition control

Ignition - Stock 307 electronic

Headers - Kook's 2" primary/3.5" collector, Jet-HOT coated. 3" dual exhaust with X- pipe and Spintech Pro-street mufflers

Oil System - Canton Racing Products road race oil pan, Melling blueprinted HV oil pump and pickup, diesel oil filter adapter, remote oil filter and Setrab oil cooler with -10AN braided lines.

Driveline

Transmission - T-56 6 speed out of '96 Camaro SS w/ Mcleod modular bellhousing

Clutch- Centerforce DFX

Rearend- Quick Performance Ford 9", Moser 31 spline axles, Detroit True- trac limited slip, 4.30 gear

Front Suspension

Wheels - 17x9.5" TTII Classics
Tires- Sumitomo HTR Z 245/45ZR17
SC&C Stage II kit - SPC lightweight adjustable upper control arms w/ racing bushings, HOWE racing ball joints, QA1 single adjustable coil over conversion shock with 550lb/in springs.
Stock lower control arms with Del-a-lum bushings.
36mm F-body front sway bar.
Grand Prix front frame brace
F-41 steering box
Brakes - Hydratech Braking hydroboost unit
C5 Corvette calipers with 12" LS1 F-body rotors

Rear Suspension

Wheels - 17x11" TTII Classics
Tires- Sumitomo HTR Z 315/35ZR17
Shocks - QA1 Single adjustable shocks
Springs- Moog F-body cargo coils
UCA's- Edelbrock double adjustable with spherical bearings
LCA's- Currie-trac control arms with spherical bearings and poly bushings
Sway bar- Spohn Pro-touring adjustable sway bar
Misc.- Fays2 Watts link

Brakes- LS1 calipers and 12" rotors

That's most of the important stuff. Everything else is cosmetic. FE3X front and rear fascia's along with fender flares. Monte SS rear spoiler, etc. etc.

Below are a few pictures of the build progress:

This essentially was where the car was two years ago:

I thought I was close to having a driveable car until I tried to install the fuel and brake lines that we hadn't done before dropping the body back on the frame. DOH!

So off came the body again:

I also couldn't leave well enough alone and found a good deal on a body rotisserie so:

Which turned out to be a life saver for fixing the body mounts:

Entire underside:

Picture of the frame after painting and suspension reinstalled:

Body back on the frame:

Engine installed:

Test fit the trunk lid with a Monte SS spoiler:

And as of today, I finished painting my core support and powder coated my AC bracket:

Couple of interior shots:

Picture of my Hot Rod Air aftermarket evaporator and my "custom" defrost vents:

What did was cut apart my original HVAC ductwork and then adapted the vents to work with the aftermarket hoses. This way everything should still work and look stock from the inside.
Here you can see the metal pieces I bent and attached to the backside of the dash so I could attach the hoses coming from the evaporator:

And lastly a picture of my door speaker pods. The system actually sounds pretty good. I wired everything up temporarily to test it out. Each door has a 6.5" woofer, 5.25" coaxial, 4" mid-bass and 1" tweeter. In the trunk I have a single 12" Kenwood sub, a JBL 600W mono amp powering the sub and two JBL 2 channel amps powering the interior speakers.
I modified my stock cassette deck so that I can connect an mp3 player to it and the sound quality is absolutely fantastic!

Well, thats it for now. Sorry for such a long post. I've covered most of this on other sites over the years and tried to condense it as much as possible. But now I have something I can add to as things come up.

Oh, forgot, here's a short video of me firing the engine up after getting the EFI running somewhat:

That's through the Spintech Prostreet mufflers but no X-pipe.

Here it is on the test stand with a carb and no mufflers:

It sounds better in person considering the camcorders microphone was a little overwhelmed. lol
Last edited by FE3X CLONE on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Geeting
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme - FE3X Pro-touring project
EFI 455/T-56/4.30
Image_________________________________________________________________________________

Blake442
Royal Smart Person

Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

Postby Blake442 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:04 am

Lookin' sweet! What color is it gonna be?

I wish I had done this good at taking pictures of my 442 in the works... Instead I only have a few. :x
I'm doing much better about documenting everything for my Olds wagon to make up for it...

Keep up the good work!
'85 Oldsmobile 442--Olds 455-TH400-8.5"-3.73s-T-tops-non a/c
'83 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser--Chevy 350-TH350-non a/c
Past G's--'81 Regal, '84 El Camino, '79 Cutlass Supreme, '87 Cutlass Salon,
'81 Monte Carlo, '81 El Camino, '79 Malibu Wagon, '81 Century Estate Wagon

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 am

Thanks.

I'm thinking about painting it Indigo Ink Pearl. Its a Toyota/Lexus/Scion color.

I've always been going to paint it a really dark blue and my friend actually mixed up some he came up with using a Chyrsler blue and some black paint but I found this other color that would be a little easier to duplicate in case I needed to do any touchup work.

This is the color on a few different cars:

Still up in the air on if I'll have a pin stripe or not on the car. If I do it will probably be silver.
Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30
Image_________________________________________________________________________________

Oregon350Cutlass
Greasemonkey

Postby Oregon350Cutlass on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 am

Amazing job,You built exactly what I want to do to mine! Even down to the color scheme! Keep up the good work!
*83 Cutlass Surpreme68k,White w/Blue Interior-Rebuilt ZZ3,Rebuilt TH350,Factory rear swaybar,Stock 7.5" single tire fire,much more too list and too come*UNDER CONSTRUCTION
*81 Cutlass Supreme Brougham98k,Greenish Blue w/Light Blue Interior,Fully Loaded Luxury,6-way electric pillow-top seats,3.8v6,TH350,7.5"*SOLD(wish I never did,was my first car)

88olds421
Greasemonkey

Postby 88olds421 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:33 am

It is looking sweet man. Can't wait to see the finished product. I love the hood, wheel and tire combo, the engine combo is just as sweet, and love the interior as well. excellent work.
88 olds 421 sbc th 350 4.10 rear

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to use that W-30 hood. My intake/throttle body ended up being too tall so I'm planning on using the original FE3X style cowl hood instead.

I could have modified the W-30 hood to fit but just didn't want to cut it up. I bought it off Angelo Valenti years back which is the hood that used to be on his FE3X car. It's pretty much a one of one built for him back in '85 by Cars and Concepts I believe.
So I'm just going to hang onto it and may end up putting it on my brother's '81.
Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30

khan0165
Royal Smart Person

Postby khan0165 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 pm

hey FE3X CLONE,

WOW... all I can say is WOW.

It seems to me that you take your time and do things right, properly, and thuroughly... just the way I like it!

Awesome car! That's gonna be a mean machine when it hits the road! Keep up the great work!
83 GP, 350, 700r4, 8.5 10bolt, 3.42 gears, 16" IROC wheels, 13.6sec @ 103mph (on tires), 12.6sec @ 105mph (on slicks)

3XBrownCutty
Royal Smart Person

Postby 3XBrownCutty on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Very nice, as usual :lol: I wanted to get the "cowl" fe3x scoop, but it was out of the price range at the time i got mine painted. Awesome color choice, 85cutlass brougham has a similar blue color, and I think it fits the car very well.

One question on a minor detail, what clips/mounting did you use to run the plug wires? I love how they don't stick out at all 8)

Oh, and another question. I was wondering the what length of the square tube rear frame rail brace is. I'm gonna make one this spring, just wanted a roundabout length.

Can't wait to see it all together with the fiberglass skirts and all 8)
'83 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
Oldsmobile 355, TH350 w/shift kit
Dynomax Headers, Summit 2.5" Cat-less Dual Exhaust
800cfm Q-jet, 3:73 posi, Electric fans, Non-A/C
ImageImage

foxtrot_lima_bravo
G Body Guru

Postby foxtrot_lima_bravo on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Dude thats AWESOME! I so impressed with your work that it can't be described in words! I know that it a labor of love but how may hours do you have into it?

85GPLef41
Royal Smart Person

Postby 85GPLef41 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm

I am IMPRESSED :lol: Thats pretty good work you doin there. Makes me want to completely tear my car apart and do the same...... But if i do that it probably never get put back together :rofl:
1985 Grand Prix L.E."Pro-touring" car:
5.7 LS1 99 Formula TA ,T56 six speed, 8.5 Buick 3:42 GN posi rear, 78 LeMans Aluminum core support,front 13in early C6 brakes & rear C5 calipers with 12in LS rotors, 18x8 front 18x9.5 rear Boss 338 wheels, Nitto nt555 tires, Hotchkis coils and rear control arms etc etc...ALL IN PROGRESS. Coming soon 408 stroker!!
build thread:
https://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=36477
my pics:
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/netochingon1/

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks a bunch guys.

I will say that this has been a pretty big learning experience. I definitely wouldn't trade that for anything, however there's quite a few things I would do differently. For one, I wouldn't underestimate the amount of money or time it might take to complete something like this.

foxtrot_lima_bravo wrote:I know that it a labor of love but how may hours do you have into it?

Well, I'm going on 7 years this March. That's actually when I drove it down to a friends house for a "repaint". Obviously I haven't worked on it every waking hour during that time but I probably have at least 2000+ man hours working on the car or some related part of it. If you figure I work on the car just on the weekends for 12 hours for two days, there's 24 hours. If I did that every weekend for a year, that roughly 1248hrs per year. Multiply that by 7 and I come up with 8736hrs but its probably less than that.

Which brings me to my point above. It wouldn't have taken me this long in the first place if 1) I had started out from the beginning KNOWING I was going to go this far, and 2) had planned on the amount of money it was going to take. The fact that I kept adding things to the list, which in turn added cost is really whats made it drag on for so long.

BUT! It looks like this year I will be close to having it finished. Not sure if it will get painted but the majority of the body work should be taken care of.
Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:01 am

3XBrownCutty wrote:Very nice, as usual :lol: I wanted to get the "cowl" fe3x scoop, but it was out of the price range at the time i got mine painted.

Well, I have a friend that bought one for his '88 Olds Aero project. Since I have next to no money at the moment but plenty of fiberglass materials, I'm going to use his as a mold to make my own I think. This way I can modify it a little if needed for my car.

One question on a minor detail, what clips/mounting did you use to run the plug wires? I love how they don't stick out at all 8)

R&M Specialties

I have the vertical version: http://www.rmspecialties.com/1113-90.html but they also make a horizontal: http://www.rmspecialties.com/1113.html

I bought mine from Summit Racing. Other than that I just have a pair of spark plug retainers from the local parts store to keep them together behind the heads.

Oh, and another question. I was wondering the what length of the square tube rear frame rail brace is. I'm gonna make one this spring, just wanted a roundabout length.

I'll have double check and measure again as its been years since I made mine. For some reason 47.25" comes to mind but I'll double check. If you bought a 60" piece of tubing you'd have plenty. Drill your holes, mount it and then you can cut it to the width of the frame.

Can't wait to see it all together with the fiberglass skirts and all 8)

Well, I spent today bolting on the header panel, front bumper fascia and the FE3X front air dam. I was just axious to see how it would look.

I've actually been finishing up my core support and all of its hardware. I wanted to buy all new bolts and 'u-clips' for it but those things can be expensive. All of my bolts and clips for the most part are in perfect condition, they just needed freshened up so I threw them in my blasting cabinet, cleaned them up and then powder coated them satin black. Save me probably $30-$40 in hardware. But man does it take a while to blast and powder coat all of those small pieces!
Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30

MrHernandez
Royal Smart Person

Postby MrHernandez on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:11 pm

quick question, was the monte carlo spoiler an easy bolt on exact fit type deal, btw awesome job on the car
78 El Camino 305/350 Vortec top end with comp components
81 Cutlass Supreme 350/700r4 -my first car, now belongs to my 4y.o.
"Earlie Cuyler: What did I tell you about drinking underneath the age, huh?
Rusty: You said if I could afford to bring back enough for you then you don't care what I do. And it's my body and I can kill it however I want to. And America's about freedom."

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 pm

MrHernandez wrote:quick question, was the monte carlo spoiler an easy bolt on exact fit type deal, btw awesome job on the car

For the most part, yes. Although it could stand to have the bottom side of the spoiler tips that extend over top of the taillights trimmed. They're hitting the tops of the taillights at the moment.

It also doesn't quite fit the rounded contour of the trunk lid where it goes from the horizontal to verticle surface. You'll also have to make access holes on the bottom side of the trunk in a few places to get to the nuts on the backside.
Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Snapped a few pictures of the fender to core support braces I made up:

And a picture of my lower radiator I welded together out of 1.75" exhaust tubing and then powder coated satin black:

Andrew Geeting
EFI 455/T-56/4.30

Next

Return to G-Body Build Threads