Rear End HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
I am about to buy a posi and 3.73 gears for my 1984 Cutlass Supreme and wanted to kno can anyone tell me the specs on a stock cutlass rear end that has no posi..want to make sure the gears and posi will fit my stock rear end

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
ok i will be calling back and asking questions

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Well your going to need a posi carrier and gears that fit the 7.5 housing. I believe the 7.625 carriers and gears also fit but will require different axles because the 7.625 carriers have a different spline count for the axles. But if your going with a 7.5 carrier/gear set just make sure it uses the same spline count as your axles. Also make sure the carrier is the correct series for the gear set your getting. I believe 3.73 gears require a 3 series posi carrier. But if for some reason you can't get a 3 series carrier they sell spacer kits for the gears.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
Kris_84elky said:
Well your going to need a posi carrier and gears that fit the 7.5 housing. I believe the 7.625 carriers and gears also fit but will require different axles because the 7.625 carriers have a different spline count for the axles. But if your going with a 7.5 carrier/gear set just make sure it uses the same spline count as your axles. Also make sure the carrier is the correct series for the gear set your getting. I believe 3.73 gears require a 3 series posi carrier. But if for some reason you can't get a 3 series carrier they sell spacer kits for the gears.

ok now how do i check the spline count...i dont kno anything about rear ends

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
The '84 Cutlass came with a 7.5" rear, and 26 spline axles.
Eaton Differential #19663-010 $520
Moser axles #A102602 $245
Moser #7105 Girdle cover $160 is also good idea, and weld the tubes.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
To find the spline count you just count how many splines are on the end of the axle where it slides into the carrier. If they are the stock axles they are 26 spline but someone could of changed them. Also I forgot to mention that the pinion gear has splines on it too that match up with the drive shaft yoke. But if all the parts on your rear end are stock, then the pinion gear from the gear set should have the same spline as your yoke. Sorry if I am confusing you but really all you have to get is a 7.5 gear set and a 7.5 carrier that matches your axle spline like STL84Calais said.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you get the carrier and gears see if they have the backlash shims attached to the carrier so it'll be easier to set it up...if the bearing on the pinion is in good shape the shim for the pinion height should be good to install as is, if you do have to change the bearing do a mock up fit to check the shim on the pinion to make sure it's right...nearly all of the pinions set up in a diff will be the proper set up for another diff...and you'll want to install a new crush bushing

I have to ask...how long does to take you to put gas in that car?

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
pontiacgp said:
when you get the carrier and gears see if they have the backlash shims attached to the carrier so it'll be easier to set it up...if the bearing on the pinion is in good shape the shim for the pinion height should be good to install as is, if you do have to change the bearing do a mock up fit to check the shim on the pinion to make sure it's right...nearly all of the pinions set up in a diff will be the proper set up for another diff...and you'll want to install a new crush bushing

I have to ask...how long does to take you to put gas in that car?

feels like i be there for about 10 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor