'80 Olds Cutlass Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Alright guys here is the build thread for my very first G Body. I think I have most of the parts together that I should be able to get the thing together over the summer which is my goal. So hopefully you will see quite a bit of activity in this post over the summer.

I got the car a coupe years ago and it has basically just been sitting waiting for me to get things together. The car is a 1980 Cutlass originally equipped with a diesel motor that in some point was converted over to Pontiac 301 which is basically just a boat anchor at this point. With a bit of luck I found out the car has the original aluminum hood so that was a bonus. Oh and I got the car for free. I have a second car a '79 that I will be using for parts when I need them.

I just recently picked up (see my other thread) a Olds 403 from a '77 Delta 88 Pace Car. I have a full set of seats out of a Pontiac GTP that will be going in the car. I have several sets of wheels to choose from. I will be using one of the TH350s from the cars I have. I have a 12 bolt rear from a '70 GTO sitting in my shop right now as well though it may not go in until next year. There was a set of racing springs in the trunk of the '80 when I got it. There is a steering column and wheel from a mid 70's firebird in the '79 that will get yanked to go in the '80 and I also have a Hurst V Matic 2 that will be going in.

Thats about it for now I will add photos later and update as things get worked on.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Some pics of the cars
Here is the '80
DSC_3913.jpg

Wheels currently on the '80
DSC_3915.jpg

Under the hood with a Poncho 301 complete with the original weeds
DSC_3919.jpg

Hey look most of the weeds are gone
IMG_0587.jpg

Goodies in the trunk
DSC_3918.jpg

Underside of the aluminum hood
IMG_0596.jpg

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Here is the '79
DSCF0096.jpg

The wheels on it
DSCF0097.jpg

The Olds 350 (late model sadly)
DSCF0103.jpg

The not so clean green interior
DSCF0098.jpg

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Some of the parts I have collected
DSC_4812.jpg

seats.jpg

DSC_4826.jpg

DSC_4819.jpg

DSC_5596.jpg

DSC_5595.jpg

DSC_5594.jpg

DSC_5592.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You know, looking at the pics, it almost seems like the '79 might be a better car to start with. How does it compare to the '80 in overall condition? Actually both cars look pretty solid compared to the stuff all the midwest and eastcoast start with.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
If you are planning to keep a Landou top then start with the Green one. If not, the other. OR, if the Green one has the better frame and other body panels use that one and transplant the body of the non-landau to the green one's frame

In any case, decide which parts are worth saving.

The green one looks like it had the top of the line Dash, all the options! Cruise, delay wipers, rear defogger, Did it have the passenger side adjustable mirror too?

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well the interior on the 80 is in much better shape and aside from the missing bumpers, small hole in the passenger side door (puncture not rust) and small wrinkle fender the exterior is in good shape and very solid. On the 79 I do not like the Landou roof which is completely trashed and half missing, the interior is fairly nasty and coming apart in many places.

Yeah I plan on saving all the parts I can as I go through the process and anything I wont be using will more thn likely get sold on here. So that being said if you guys see something you need let me know so I make sure to take extra care when removing it.

On that same note what is the best way to remove the lower chrome/stainless trim on the 79 panels so I can move some panels to the 80. Oh and anyone need those pieces?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not sure how they come off but it's my understanding that complete sets aren't that common. I didn't realize the green car was that clapped...too bad. Did you check it for aluminum bumper supports and drums (mine has 'em)? Does the 350 run? Any chance it's an F41 car? Hopefully you can make some money selling parts. The sheetmetal and trim looks pretty good. Any thoughts about putting the '79 front fenders and nose on the '80? I know the '80 is one year only (which is kinda cool) but the '78-'79s always seemed tougher looking to me.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Pontiac455 said:
Is that a 12 bolt chevelle rear axl i see?

It is from a GTO actually but yes 12 bolt.

DRIVEN
I am not sure on if the 350 runs or not, the guy I bought it from was building it as a project car and I don't believe ever finished even hooking the thing up and there is currently no shift linkage in the car with the swap to the f body steering column. How would I check for the F41? Yeah the exterior of the car is decent but the interior is just a fugly mess, I don't even like sitting in it lol. I thought about swaping on the full 79 nose but I am still undetermined on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor