87 Cutlass Project #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
hey guys, picked up an 87 cutlass today for 680 the guy was asking 1000, it's got a 305, column shifter, MINT interior, needs an alternator(siezed), a brake line, and to get gas pumping to the carb, it was stored for 7 years, and has minimal surface rust, around the back bumper trim, and above the right wheel well, here's pix, and a couple of questions after the pix-

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

and onto the questions, the guy drove it about 2 years ago before parking it, it was stored for 5 before then, he had to add gas into the tank and keep putting gas in the carb, he said,
Today when we went to go get it to start he had to keep adding fuel into the carb and it wouldnt stay started without adding gas to the carb, if i keep trying to turn it over will the mechanical pump pull the fuel from the tank or how would i go about getting it to start without adding gas to the carb.
question 2 the alternator is seized, the guy said he used to beable to break them loose and they'd still charge, if i can get it loose is this true?

question 3= where does the rear brake line usually rot on these things? i've had one when i was 15 but it wasnt rotted anywhere other than the rear frame rails-i ended up toaling it unfortunatly

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Re: good bye j-body hello g-body :)

Welcome and looks like a good score you got there!

As for your questions it sounds like you need a fuel pump, or a line or filter is clogged. Don't know any specifics about where the rear brake lines rot, but on my 442 the line going from front to rear rotted right at the T by the rear axle.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

it's not too bad of a car, how much and how hard would a fuel pump cost me? the guy said once i kept turning it over it should fire, not too sure, i used to be into the older gm's but been out for the past 4-5 years so im starting again lol went from v8's to 4 bangers but back to the v8

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

Good choice on going back to V8's haha. The fuel pump is pretty cheap just looked up one for the 350 in my 442 and its about $30. As for putting it in its not terribly hard and shouldn't take too long.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

it was pretty late when we got it back here, im going to dink around with it tmrw and see if i can't get some gas tossed in the tank and try to get her to turn, how expensive would it be to change it from a mech pump over to an electric pump?

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx

id k how much it will cost you. But a mechancial is easy and fast to repair here is a pic below of where you fuel pump is to the left its about 2 bolts...just goto autozone and buy the gasket and a fuel pump...also make sure you drain that gas tank...

350_Balancer_2.jpg

Also I have no idea inregards to un seizing a alternator...sbc are pentiful...goto your local junk yard and pull one...my local yard gives me a 30 return policy on bad items...pull your alternator take it to autozone and they will test it for you for free...i recommened having them test it at least 2-3 times. Reason being went and had my dads prosche 944 alternator tested...it passed the first time failed the next 2 but after that...the next 3 test it passed

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

okay, cool, and how would i go about draining the gas tank, i don't really want to drop it down, taking the risk of snapping the straps.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York

Welcome to GBF!!! Great score on your car and it sure looks nice.....Stay with your mechanical pump, they are easy and cheap enough to replace. Grab a hose and put it down your filler tube and syphen the gas out.......While your at it go ahead and change your fuel filter as well. Alternators aren't too pricey either,,,Grab a reman one from Napa or a used one and you'll be ready to roll....You might also want to get some new plugs,cap and wires as well since it's been sitting a while. As far as where the brake lines rot on our cars, Really ne specefic place but when you replace it, do it right and replace the whole line..This way you won't have to repair other parts later....Good luck and let us know how you make out 8)

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011

i intended on doing the brake lines from the block back to the azz end- fuel filter will be done, plugs will be done, i need a clamp for the y pipe to bolt to the driverside header, and thanks a whole lot for the welcome, what am i looking for when syphoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor