Change 8/24/11: These rules apply everywhere, including the Off-Topic section, which has its own additional set of rules. Reference the sticky in that section.
In the interest of maintaining decency and decorum on the site, I'm posting these rules so that there is no (well less) confusion as to what is or isn't allowed. These rules apply to all sections of the site, including the chat room. If you notice any blatant and/or repeated disregard, please PM me or send me an e-mail and I'll have a look at the situation on a case-by-case basis.
Why? Because as the admin I have a responsibility to maintain some sort of standard for the site. Because I'd like it to be able to be read without offending people (at least as few as possible) and because I'm bound to by advertising agreements, etc.
I want to treat everyone like adults and let everyone carry on conversations without worrying, "be careful what you say or you'll get banned!", but I also don't want the reputation of "a bunch of foul-mouthed obnoxious jerks" either.
These aren't hard-and-fast, and I get to ultimately decide what's a violation.
* Spammers: go away. We don't want you here.
* Religion and Politics are ONLY allowed in Off Topic: This rule is new, please reference the separate Off Topic rules in that section.
* Stay on topic: Hijacking a thread into something totally irrelevant is not cool. Please reference the Off Topic rules for further clarification.
* Posting of obviously inappropriate content is not allowed. I'll be more lenient in the Off-topic section, but I get to be the final arbiter on what is over the top. If you wouldn't show it to your mom, then its probably over the top. Porn (images or links), "hate" messages or links, obviously "dirty" jokes, illegal stuff, etc. etc. (although if you want to PM them to me.... ah, better not actually)
* Language: Just use your common sense. A few "bad words" here and there I'm not going to make a big deal out of. Constantly cursing like a drunken sailor (whether you are one or not) isn't funny, witty, or particularly good for the site's reputation.
* Respect: Try and respect your fellow G-body nuts. Even if you vehemently disagree with them, arguments degenerating into personal attacks, insults, and the like will be shut down if it gets out of hand. Harassment and/or threatening of individuals is not permitted and will result in action.
I may or may not give out warnings, or temporary bans, or even permanent ones. Not necessarily in that order. Depends on how serious and repeated things get. Telling me "You can't censor me! I can do what I want!" will result in exactly that.
Bottom Line: Just use good judgement and be fair and decent. You do that and so will I.