My stock 87 442 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Well i finaly paid my engine off and got it back from the machine shop. Put the heads and valve train back on masked it all off and painted it. Slowly getting it back together. Aiming to finish by summer. Still got to buy the stock exhaust set up and a few things to complete my engine. Such as the air tubes and heatriser thing. Going to get the transmission rebuilt sometime in the next few months. Once i get it all together next summer im going to get the ac retrofitted. Pictures will be coming soon.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
i started this thread and havent done much with it lately, mainly because i havent done much with the car, not much farther than i was before, everything is on the engine and about ready to go back in, my aim for getting it done this summer doesnt look to be possible, might be close. i plan on dropping the engine back in in a few weeks so thats a step forward. i ordered my parts air pump/air check valves/ spark plugs. i need new bearings in my alternator and thats about it engine wise, i decided against the stock exhaust set up right now to save money and get it on the road quicker so i will run what its got. also decided against the heat riser for now too until i do the stock exhaust set up. so basically all thats left is rebuild the transmission and put that in as well. finances are the biggest set back in this build... :roll:

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Don't let it get you down, sometimes it's hard to get things going as quickly as you'd like. At the same time, and it sounds like you understand this, sometimes a couple compromises are the difference between driving and enjoying your car, and having it sit in pieces for another year. What's up with the trans? Is it shot, or you just want it fresh for the motor? If the car's only got 48k miles and you weren't having problems with the trans before, you might be ok to run it for a while. Just a thought.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
pulled it out October 31, 2010 finally got it back in today, the bottom picture is when i took it out with my rough looking engine hoist and chain haha, put it back in with the same thing, i kept worrying i that chain or one of the bolts were going to break. it started out as i was going to just set it back in today but i got carried away and hooked everything up, all i need to do is get some heater hoses, a pcv hose, hook the starter and exhaust up put the transmission back in and put a battery in it and its ready to go, i decided against rebuilding the transmission since it worked when i pulled it, ill get it rebuilt when it goes out. i bought a new battery before i pulled the engine, the battery sat in my basement one year and in the garage the next half, hopefully its still good :lol: i thought i took enough pictures of the hoses and wiring but i was wrong that took me a few hours to remember where everything went. hoses not to bad since i had a diagram. wires were a bit tricky though. im pretty excited to get it back on the road this spring. im not done with it yet though, just want to drive it again :D future plans are to retrofit the ac, get the stock exhaust set up, heat riser, and rebuild the transmission eventually. i noticed today that my ac compressor said on the side of it that it was r12 and r134a capable so thats one less thing i need. it worked some what before i pulled the engine, it was still r12 it was leaking where the lines connect to the compressor so when you came to a stop and idled the ac would quit working but would start working again as soon as you took off. this is where im at now, once the snow and roads clear im going to pull it to my work so i can put it on the hoist to do the transmission

Attachments

• 10-31-10 022.jpg
    10-31-10 022.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,379
  • 421940_10150578545851517_634551516_9403837_992773963_n.jpg
    421940_10150578545851517_634551516_9403837_992773963_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,365

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
I was towing it by tow strap behind my tahoe with a friend yesterday to my work where i can put it on the lift. towing a vehical by tow strap is illegal here. the third corner we make we meet head to head with a cop and he starts driving by, i think "great now im going to get a ticket for this, no lights, no registration, no seat belt im screwed." he slows down as he gets by the car, sees the tow strap then looks at me, and gives me a thumbs up and keeps on driving! i was very surprised. its nice to see someone respect the 442

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
ERIC87442 said:
I was towing it by tow strap behind my tahoe with a friend yesterday to my work where i can put it on the lift. towing a vehical by tow strap is illegal here. the third corner we make we meet head to head with a cop and he starts driving by, i think "great now im going to get a ticket for this, no lights, no registration, no seat belt im screwed." he slows down as he gets by the car, sees the tow strap then looks at me, and gives me a thumbs up and keeps on driving! i was very surprised. its nice to see someone respect the 442
Cool story man! A few summers ago in my old 87' 442 I was trying to show off to some friends. So i took off fast and
fishtailed around a corner with the tries smoking and when I finished making the corner I was heading towards a local cop. He waived and smiled at me and I swear my heart was beating a 100 miles an hours. My friends couldbelievee wedidn'tt get pulled over.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
well i got it all together and running tonight. runs great, 2 problems though, check engine light setting code 34 for the map sensor. everything is hooked up and fine with the map sensor, so bad sensor? and the other problem is i have a very loud exhaust manifold leak from both manifolds they are both cast manifolds and i installed the gaskets and torqued the bolts to the proper specs. and suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor