83 Hurst Olds Temperature Gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
Rebuilt motor in my 1983 Hurst Olds, everything perfect and I replaced all sensors that were cracked. Threw away the original for the heat guage, replaced with one from NAPA, then another from NAPA, then one that is OEM GM.
Has the 2 wires, can't get this to work for the life of me!! All other guages work fine... this did work before the rebuild... HELP again guys...
I'm in need again...thanks!

Note the rebuilt motor sensor, with 2 wires spliced.
The original pulled apart...
My motor was spotless, and will be again soon.

Attachments

• DSC02088 (2).jpg
    DSC02088 (2).jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 2,754
  • DSC00543 (2).jpg
    DSC00543 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,666
  • 08 (2).jpg
    08 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,411

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
And a few more!

Attachments

• P09030707 (2).jpg
    P09030707 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,268
  • P090302 (2).jpg
    P090302 (2).jpg
    691 KB · Views: 1,293
  • P1010001ax (2).jpg
    P1010001ax (2).jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 1,242

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
Well I'm not alone, I hate to put in another guage and hide it in the glovebox, need this guage, of what little it'll be driven.
If I figure it out I'll let you know...

Jim H.

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Are you sure the wire connections are good did you solder them or use butt splices. Next I would take some hot water and put a temperature gauge in the water and put the sensor in the water and see if the temp gauge works and does it mater which way you hook up the wires did you try switching the wires just throwing this out there that's what I would do.

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
I did the boiling water test, and also touching the wires to the ground and the guage moves, very odd... I did not soder, wanted to get it to work first, could that help...? Maybe!

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Looks like you have the wrong sensor, that is a two wire (black and yellow) switch (or sensor) for the computer...
I don't trust the guys at parts stores... I do the research first and just tell them the part number.
The ones for the gauges (sender) are somewhat hard to find, they're discontinued and you need to know what you're looking for... you need a sender, not a sensor (or switch). Ones a switch and the other is anolog...

The two green wires are for the gauge and the high temp warning light.
I believe the green wire with the white stripe is for the light and the other is for the gauge.

www.rockauto.com has the temp SENDER but it looks like you now need a pigtail as well...

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i have one of those 3 gauge clusters oil/temp/batt and im also wondering where i connect the copper wire from the temp gauge to? and theres also a little black tube coming from the oil pressure gauge...wheres that go?

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
88hurstolds said:
Looks like you have the wrong sensor, that is a two wire (black and yellow) switch (or sensor) for the computer...
I don't trust the guys at parts stores... I do the research first and just tell them the part number.
The ones for the gauges (sender) are somewhat hard to find, they're discontinued and you need to know what you're looking for... you need a sender, not a sensor (or switch). Ones a switch and the other is anolog...

I believe the green wire with the white stripe is for the light and the other is for the gauge.

http://www.rockauto.com has the temp SENDER but it looks like you now need a pigtail as well...

AutoZone sells a replacement that is two wire. It comes with a new pigtail. Part number SU102. I had the same problem and this got my guage working properly.

Markbgt01

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2008
88hurstolds said:

http://www.rockauto.com has the temp SENDER but it looks like you now need a pigtail as well...

THE 2 white wires I have spliced with the green wires is the wires tha went to the guage initially.
When I touch the wires and ground them it'll move the temerature guage in the car. I've tried 3 sensors, could it be a different one I need?
Thanks I'm lost on this... What is the sensore under the bracket for my Cruise Control? Warning Light for Temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor