PROJECT: Fade II Black - Salon GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
Hello guys and gals of the G-body world,
Let me start off by saying that this is the best forum that I have ever been a part of. There are alot of very knowledgable and informative members here, and I appreciate all of the help that has been given to me so far, and all the help that I have yet to ask for. Now that all that stuff is out of the way, let's get started.

I just want eveyone to know that I'm tired of seeing everyone make progress on their rides except for me, with that being said, this is OFFICIALLY going to be the start of my build thread(FINALLY). Updates will be few and far between since I recently purchased my 1st home and still trying to get in the groove and get everything in order, but maybe this thread and all of you guys' comments will keep my eye on the prize.

Ok, here goes, the victim is a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon. It is a factory bucket seat, console/floor shifter, rally cluster, and t-top car. Original asking price was $1500. I drove roughly 215-220 miles one-way to Knoxville, TN to buy this car from a junkyard. I got there and tried to start it but it wouldn't.(Sitting over 3 years, bad gas). I talked to the guy and he didn't want to budge on the price, but since I showed like I said I would and drove so far, he knocked off $200 for dolly rental and fuel. I wasn't mad in the least. I actually didn't expect him to budge on price at all. Sorry that I rambled on that way, I tend to do that. Back to the car, it has power windows(not for long) and locks. The original 307 and 200 metric were long gone and had been swapped with a SBC 350 and turbo 350 transmission. I have no clue as to what it came out of. The rear-end is a one-wheel peel 7.5 with 2.14:1 gears(Awesome-NOT).

I'm going to call this project:
FADE II BLACK---Salon GT

I will be stealing/borrowing several ideas from some of you guys on here, sorry, I just can't help it. I know it's NOT really a Salon GT. It was a N.C. dealer option. This will be my version of an '85 Salon GT.

Alright, don't bash me for what comes next, this car will not be powered by an Olds heart but there is good reasoning behind it. I was in the process of buiilding my 333 (327 bored .040 over) for a previous project (88 convertible camaro) but came across a guy that wanted the car more than I did, so guess what, I let him have it. I do want another one someday. I think this is enough talking for now so I'll post a few pics. I'll also post a pic of the so-called engine donor.

100_0709.jpg

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
You can check the video in my signature to see how the car ran once I put some gas and a hot battery in it. I could have gotten away with a tune up, cleaning the bay a bit, and some tires. I bought it to build it though, so I snatched the motor and transmission out. I sold my older brother the motor and he had it rebuilt and its now in his '87 Caprice, it runs pretty damn good too. I still have the transmission stowed away, I think I may try a rebuild on it to see if I can do it. Guess I'll put a few more pics now:

100_0839.jpg

100_0838.jpg

100_0840.jpg

100_0843.jpg

100_0845.jpg

100_0846.jpg

After all that, it was time for the body to come off. I know it doesn't look stable but it was. I had to do what I could with what I had, which wasn't much. Me and my dad jacked the car off the frame with a couple old bumper jacks and some 2x4's. So here is the pics, don't laugh.

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0918.jpg

100_0919.jpg

And the frame is out from under it.

100_0915.jpg

100_0920.jpg

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
It sat that way for a while, I done a little bit of wire wheeling on the frame but nothing significant. I hit a pause when I started on the process of buying my house. Needless to say, I got the house and my detached garage was empty so I went to my dads' place and dropped the car back down on the frame, ratchet strapped it down, hooked up the tow bar, and pulled my baby home. No new pics since its been home but all I have done is pull the carpet and most of the interior plastic because its getting dyed black. The carpet went to the dump though, exactly where it belongs. I also started wire wheeling the floor, it had some flaky rust, uncovered a couple small holes in the front passenger floor but no biggie. A couple of the body bushing holes are bad so after Christmas it will be going to the body shop for that and the passenger floor as well. I am not equipped to do any of that stuff yet, but in due time I will be. Thanks for looking, I know its long but it needed to be done. I'm looking to hear constructive criticism and any comments that you guys have, so come on with. Oh and if there are any questions, then feel free to ask.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that's basically the way most of us left the body but I don't think I had as much angle on the cinder blocks holding up the rear... :shock:

that frame looks to be in great shape and I think kuruption109 has some t-top components. I bought a set from him and they were in awsome shape.

melman109

Royal Smart Person
Apr 22, 2008
Arizona
Nice progress so far! I'll be watching this thread for updates. I wish I had the space to take my body off the frame. Keep up the good work!

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I took the body off my old cutlass. I replaced all bushings, balljoints, tie rods, etc. I had to sell it do to financial difficulties, but I think it's the way to go. The main issue for me was the cage nuts and pockets for them being rusted out. Good luck, you're makin good progress.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
uhhhh, yea those blocks holding the body off of the frame are scarrrrrry :shock: . on the bright side it looks like a nice start to a good project.

84sscutty

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2009
Fayetteville, Tennessee
brettlaage03 said:
I took the body off my old cutlass. I replaced all bushings, balljoints, tie rods, etc. I had to sell it do to financial difficulties, but I think it's the way to go. The main issue for me was the cage nuts and pockets for them being rusted out. Good luck, you're makin good progress.

The cage nuts were no problem at all. Nothing was a pain, it all came loose pretty easily.

sleepycutlasscruzer said:
uhhhh, yea those blocks holding the body off of the frame are scarrrrrry :shock: . on the bright side it looks like a nice start to a good project.

The blocks had me iffy at first but it held very well. It's no longer like that though. The body is sitting on some 2x4's on the frame in my garage. I'll try to get some recent photos some time this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor