The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

PROJECT: Fade II Black - Salon GT

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Re: PROJECT: Fade II Black - Salon GT

Postby 84sscutty on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 am

pontiacgp wrote:I'm just wondering, did you remove the driveshaft before you towed it on the dolley?

Definately removed the driveshaft and inserted one of those plastic plugs so that no tranny fluid will not leak out.

dogshit wrote:If you are building a high performance driver leave that old three speed in the 70s. They were great just obsoleted by technology. Sell it and use the money to do a proper 200-4R. Well you asked for some constructive ideas. :mrgreen: Depending on the motor, power, and tire height 3.42 to 4.10 are usually ideal quarter mile gears. With the 200-4R you still get a 2.49 final drive ratio which is great for low rpm interstate cruising and mileage. Plus with a high stall lock up converter you bust off the line yet still have low transmission temps and save another 200+ rpms for best mileage. <a href="http://www.extremautomatics.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://www.extremautomatics.com</a> lonnie built two for me and I have had great luck with both including the one that went behind a 509ci big block with posi n large drag radials. Good thing it had the 8.5 rear. The 88 Salon GTs up here had a 3.08 gear, hard top, buckets, console, ralley guage pack, ralleys, and the "f41" spring & swaybar package. Oh yea and the vin Y 307 :roll: Guess it was better than the carberated 3.8.

This will be a high performance driver, maybe once or twice a year at local 1/8 mile track. The 350 turbo will NOT be used. I already have a T5 from a 1992 z28 with 92k miles on it. My car only has the 7.5 but I'm on the lookout fir an 8.5. Once I find one I will be installing a true-trac and a 4.10 gear. I think that gear will work since I will be running 18 or 20 inch rims. This car also has the F41 package so thats a plus. This car will also be lowered 2 inches all the way around.

David Williamson
Royal Smart Person

Postby David Williamson on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:29 pm

I have been following you on Youtube for a while now, i was just going to ask how your car was looking and what your getting into with it. Now I know Great job and everything is looking good, Good luck on everything. I will keep checking in i really want to see this done.

LSCustoms
Royal Smart Person

Postby LSCustoms on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:13 pm

great project and way to get to work on it

LSCustoms
Royal Smart Person

Postby LSCustoms on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:14 pm

and congrats on the house

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 am

David Williamson wrote:I have been following you on Youtube for a while now, i was just going to ask how your car was looking and what your getting into with it. Now I know Great job and everything is looking good, Good luck on everything. I will keep checking in i really want to see this done.

I'm ready to see this thing done too, but that is a long way off. However I do expect it to be an ugly driver by my birthday, which isn't until June.

LSCustoms wrote:and congrats on the house

Thanks for the Congrats on the house, I had to take care of some credit stuff so it has been a long time coming but its been well worth the wait. I'll post a couple of pics later.

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Well guys, I haven't been up to much lately but yesterday me and my pops did get the body of my cutlass back off the frame. All in all, it went pretty smooth. Way smoother than when it was on his warped a$$ hill. (LOL). I have also removed the dash, steering column, and all the forward plastic interior trim. Now I just have to get the frame to the shop so my body bushing mount holes can be repaired. It's only 4 of them but the body shop is gonna replace them all so everything will be all good and matching. I guess I'll post a few pics now.

A few from underneath
Seats that I may or may not use (Oldsmobile Bravada-Leather)
Front
Body Bushing Mount Holes
Frame
Dash
Few Holes in Passenger Floor
No Dash or Column
Manual Doors
Spare Header Panel
Column
May possibly use this Camaro Dash
Gonna graft these in for my handles
TPI in a box LOL
3 Rally Pack Clusters-will sale 2 of them $100 shipped each or trade for Mark viii fan/shroud/pigtail

zuma83
G Body Guru

Postby zuma83 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

nice progress

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:14 pm

zuma83 wrote:nice progress

It's not much but it is something, hopefully the ball will be at a consistant roll for a little while starting towards the end of February or beginning of March. Thanks

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 pm

No pics but i do have a very small update. I dropped my frame off at a shop this past Friday to have them fix the body bushing mount holes, I should get it back Tuesday or Wednesday. When it gets home, I will start removing the front suspension so I can send the frame, a-arms, sway bars, etc. to be blasted, primed, and painted. One more thing, I will be finally be having my dyno session this Friday morning if there aren't any snafu's between now and then. I will post pics of the frame when it gets home and will post a video of the dyno run next weekend.

fraido2002
G Body Guru

Postby fraido2002 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 pm

That looks great. Your floor pans look like mine did, great from underneath and crappy under the carpet. You gotta love t tops. Keep up the good work.

PreviousNext

Return to Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds