84 hurst/olds with 2004r and 350 not spinning the left tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Im new to the forum but I have 84 hurst/olds . I have a rebuilt olds 350 with elgin rv torque cam . The problem that im having is not be able to spin left tire. the timing is set on 20 bdtc and the only way the left tire spins is in gravel rocks . so is there anyone out here can give a little insight what might be wrong. im starting to think that clutches in the rearend are going bad. i been having the car since i was senior in high school.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Re: 84 hurst/olds with 2004r and 350 not spinning the left t

If its a posi, the clutches most be wore out. Both wheels won't spin if its not a posi.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013

all im getting is the right tire spinning if i break torque it and thats about it. when i had a used 307 in there i could brake torque it and both the tires spin and smoked up the whole garage.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013

i know that the rearend is limited slip but still should kick in if one tire loses traction... is that right for limited slip and posi rearends

celticsam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2013

In a limited slip, the traction goes to the tire with the least resistance...when it starts to spin, the clutches engage, forcing the other wheel to spin. If the clutches wear out, you will end up with an opened rear...where the power just goes to the wheel with least resistance (left or right). This is all assuming that you did not damage an axle (highly unlikely, and you would know). Note: Worn out clutches do not know right from left...they will always spin the wheel of least resistance...as will an opened rear.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida

I'm digging up a post from the graveyard here, but I wanted to toss in my .02

The torque of the engine's power will tend to "twist" the entire drivetrain and in high speed/high power scenarios the engine's torque will actually plant the driver's side and lift the passenger rear tire slightly. This is why the majority of one wheel burnouts are passenger side.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Yeah, you fried the clutches. The torque of your cammed 350 sbo took them out. I bet you were hoping it was something else, But nope it's time for a rebuild.
Also, it would be a good idea to get another transmission to rebuild. Mainly because, if you rebuilt the rear and not the transmission with it your trans will go next. Then the driveshaft U joints.
Strong engines find every weakness in your drivetrain.
T

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

celticsam said:
In a limited slip, the traction goes to the tire with the least resistance...when it starts to spin, the clutches engage, forcing the other wheel to spin. If the clutches wear out, you will end up with an opened rear...where the power just goes to the wheel with least resistance (left or right). This is all assuming that you did not damage an axle (highly unlikely, and you would know). Note: Worn out clutches do not know right from left...they will always spin the wheel of least resistance...as will an opened rear.

limited slip is Ford's name for GM posi traction. Both axles are constantly locked with the pressure exerted on the clutch packs by the springs. The clutch packs limited the slip on each axles on the rear wheels so you can go around corners without burning up tires. The break away torque depends on the spring rate of the springs.

yellow 400lbs pre-load ....... street application

blue 600 lbs pre-load ...... street/strip

red /plain 800lbs pre-load .... strip only

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

pontiacgp said:
limited slip is Ford's name for GM posi traction.
Technically Ford's name for it was Equa-Lock or Traction-Lok :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor