307 out 350 in T-5 swap. What did i do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Hello all, I lost several roller lifters in my 307 due to oil starvation and a slipping 200R. Switched to my rebuilt '73 350 sbo, put a shift kit in the 200R. transmission couldn't take the power. (was'nt a surprise) Time for manual transmission swap. The T-5 is ready to go in. Couldn't find a pilot bearing. Fine, had one modified. Now i cant find a factory replacement flywheel? WTH? I had a flywheel i ordered from Advance in 2010 for my 73 sbo. it didn't fit.
My fault for trusting them to get that right. Now all i get is different part #s from all the stores here. I always knew Olds only had one flywheel for both big and small blocks. It has 166 teeth on it. But all these stores are claiming that olds has i68 teeth on their flywheels. I've been a Old engine man since my 71 cutlass in 1980. I talked to Joe Mondello in 85 about a Super rare car with a factory olds motor that i wanted to duplicate. And i have never heard of any Olds or Pontiac for that matter, having 168 teeth on their flywheels. Is It Me? Was I under a rock or something? Who has a 166 tooth flywheel that will not put me in the poor house?

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Re: 307 out 350 in. What did i do wrong?

Olds never had 168 tooth flywheel. It is a 166. The 168 is for a SBC. I've had a problem before with them giving me a chevy oil filter number for my olds engine. And they insisted it was correct.....look on summit or jegs and get one from them. Once you look it up yourself you know it'll be right.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

alot of the parts chains have their own websites where you can look it up yourself, order it on-line, and usually pick it up at the store. I know Advance usually has a decent percentage discount just for purchasing on-line (I work there, can you tell? lol).

I agree that there's alot of idiots behind the counter at ALL of the chains, not just my competition... if you do go into the store, try to watch who alot of the customers (even the other employees) talk to, and you'll have the most knowledgeable person on duty... I have the other employees asking me and one other guy reference questions all the time. :roll:

monday is a long ways away, but I'll try to see if I can find a listing for you and see if I can find you a part #.

Darin

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT

The parts store computers don't know the difference between a 350 5.7l olds and 350 chevy. I'm have the same results in trying to get one for my 5 speed swap. Everytime I find one it's a chevy flywheel. The only ones you can buy now are aftermarket and they're starting at like 300 bucks. I will be watching this thread closely, hoping you can find one that's just a basic replacement.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

Don't give Rocket Racing your money! Don't support lying cheats! I'm pretty sure another Olds vendor would have something similar.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

Thanks for the Info guys, I'm still searching. I paid 144 for the flywheel I took back. And of course only got 128 for the return. Auto zone seems to have it. I used cross reference from different cars the olds engines were in and looking for the one that doesn't keep changing part numbers.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

I'm checking on a part from a Ebay store called FastForward AC. !66 tooth Olds billet flywheel p/n PC2513 made by SpeedMasters. 139.00 plus 30.00 shipping.
Any one been this route before or ever dealt with these guys before? They have a tech line and i'll be calling way before a send any currency. 909 418 7768.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

I contacted them on tues. They said it was right, We'll see.... They did say a magic phrase that sold me. ("This is the same manufacturer that supplies Mondello Performance") :mrgreen: i get it on the 14th.

Attachments

• Billet 1.JPG
    Billet 1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,818
  • Billet 2.JPG
    Billet 2.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,816
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor