Update to my (frame off restoration) 1979 Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
I'm still on the pursuit of my 79 cutlass calais, FRAME OFF restoration. I've received a LOT of advice and guidance from many people on this forum.....Thankyou. I've just wanted to post a few pics of a few things I've been doing over the past few months.

As many of you may know, my restoration project started with a NORTHERN CAR but I was convinced that this was the body I wanted to restore. The body reminded me of my father's cutlass when he came out of the marine corp, so there's some sentimental value with this body. It was a very risky decision to restore a rust/salt car but God has been opening up doors and avenues to make this project work. Surprisingly, from what I can tell so far, my floor pans are in good shape with minor rust. I believe that the old transmission leaking so bad, has helped to preserve some of my body.

I found an awesome FRAME so the rusted out frame that came with the car is not a factor anymore. I found a strong rear bumper, which is currently being rechromed right now, along with my front bumper. My stock 3 gear transmission was shot out, so I was able to secure a 2004r overdrive trans as well. Lastly, I've also been able to secure a edlebrock 4 barrel carb and a Edlebrock Performer Intake Manifold as well.

CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW

http://performancecarcraft.smugmug.com/ ... 63_FnPp42h

normal_photo2.JPG

normal_photo.JPG

normal_018.JPG

normal_060.JPG

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

normal_photo1.JPG

normal_intake.JPG

normal_111.JPG

normal_114.JPG

normal_006.JPG

normal_010.JPG

normal_image~4.jpg

normal_image~2.jpg

normal_image~0.jpg

normal_image~6.jpg

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Re: Update to my 1979 Cutlass Calais

1979Calais said:
Look like you are on the same track as I am. Where did you send you bumpers off to? Are you in Alabama?

I was actually reading your post earlier and you inspired me to update my progress. Yes, I'm in Birmingham, AL.

I went through Goodmark Rechroming to get my bumpers rechromed. I can't attest to their work yet personally, but I've heard good things about them. Google Goodmark Bumper Rechroming and check out some of their work. My bumpers should be ready in about 8 more weeks at the latest. When they come in, I'll post some pics so you can see the results. Keep in touch....I like the work you've done so far.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana

1979Calais said:
I am from Selma, but now in Maryland. Also I have family in B'Ham. I seen some doors for your car up here in Maryland, can check on them next week. I believe they are going for no more than $150 a door. I will be coming to B'Ham in November.

Small world.... What brought you to Maryland?

Yea, most doors I've been coming across have been going for about $100-$150 a door. What is the condition of the ones you saw?? I'm ok with light surface rust, as long as they aren't rusted all the way through....

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland

Money is what got me up here, but now I want to move. Been here for 7-8 years and I miss the south, will be moving to SC or NC in a few years. Yes they were in good shape with only surface rust in a few spots. It was three weeks ago when I see them, but will be going back this weekend to see if they still have them. I also checked out Goodmark and they are cheaper than any other place. I will be taking or sending my bumpers to them.

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana

When you go back up there and if they still have the doors, see can you get a contact number for me...

When you get ready to get your bumpers rechromed, holla at me first. I ordered mine through the manager...and he may be able to save you a few more dollars...

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland

Its a pull a part called crazy rays. If you call and ask them about a part, they will tell you they don't keep inventory. You can try to call them, here is their site. Last time they told me they don't keep an inventory and told me to come and see for myself, then hung up the phone.

http://www.crazyraysautoparts.com/

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006

Hey, what are you doing with my frame, cross-member, tires and Ford 9"? :lol: J/K. We're originally from Phenix City and got family / friends all through the area.

Any, good luck with the build and keep us posted on progress.

:mrgreen:

Pharozen

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana

jae said:
Hey, what are you doing with my frame, cross-member, tires and Ford 9"? :lol: J/K. We're originally from Phenix City and got family / friends all through the area.

Any, good luck with the build and keep us posted on progress.

:mrgreen:

LOL......awesome frame huh? I needed it.... Thanks for the well wishes on the build.

Who is "we" though??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor