swapping a th200 metric for a th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
So I love my cutlass but the th200 thats in there has got to go plus its on its way out anyhow. Also the 307 is fine i kind of like it but I want to put a 350 in it. So my question is how much work is required to swap out my 200 metric transmission and 307 engine and replace them with a olds 350 transmission and olds 350 engine I know the engine mounts are the same but what about the transmission linkage my cars a colum shift and the last olds I had with a 350 transmission was a floor shift

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
It depends on if the TH350 is the same length as the 200- if the trannies are the same length you may get lucky and have the rear trans mount bolt up, otherwise make sure you use a TH350 torque converter with the new trans as they are not interchangeable, and you may need the shift linkage bracket off the 200 if you don't have one made for your car on the new transmission. It should be a pretty easy swap- I have not personally seen a 200 so I don't know all the differences... The TH350 is one of the simplest and most durable transmissions. Hookups include: 6 bolts on the bellhousing, 3 torque converter bolts, 1 or 2 bolts on the tail trans mount, two trans cooler lines, detent cable, and shifter linkage, and torque converter dust shield.

If you swap a 350/th350 combo in, you may need to move the motor mounts, otherwise expect wiring changes, exhaust changes, you may need a bigger radiator and shroud which will need new belts and hoses as well (unless you have a complete donor car)

Let us know what you choose! I am a big fan of motor swaps as long as the original motor wasn't special like a GN

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If the same length water pump is used, no issues on accessories for an Olds 350. The linkage is adjustable and mount is the same spot. It has been years since I did one but think the drive shaft is the same.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I recall correctly. The TH200 did not use a vacuum modulator, much like the 200-4R. Where as the TH350 does have a modulator and requires a vacuum line/ takeoff from the back of the manifold or carb.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
I want to keep it all olds I know a place I can get an olds th350 transmission and engine for $400 I would have to over haul the engine and transmission because even though the car they came out of was running its been sitting for years. Would I have to replace the whole harness or just run more wires. I have a painless 12 circuit wiring harness if the whole harness has to be replaced

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
The TH200 uses the throttle cable instead of the vacuum modulator. On my 260, there is already a port 'assigned' on the engine to use for the vacuum modulator for the TH350.

I opted to rebuild my TH200 since the gearing with the TH200 is better matched with my 260 and the 2.21 rear. However if I was to update to the TH350 I would have needed new throttle linkage and maybe oil cooler lines to the radiator. Other than that on a 78 it was a simple swap.

85blacksalon

Apprentice
Oct 24, 2011
I did a 350/th350 swap this spring. The motor is a in & out swap, you don't need any new harness. If you get rid of the computer there will a lot of extra wires. The trans will bolt right in, the cooler lines are the same. The kick down cable will work in place of the 200 shift cable, a steel vac. line will need to be added, but if you are gettn a complete engine it should already have 1. The drive shaft is the same also. The shift linkage I had to rework but I have a floor shifter & headers, it was no big deal. The only other thing I did was to change the rear end gears to 342. It is a little to low, turning a lot of rpms on the hwy. I would have liked to see what the 307 would have been like with the gear change.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
I want to decomputerize the car I already have a distributor with a vacuum advance only thing im a little stumped on is what can I use for a carb? What car could I get a carb off of dont want to spend big money on a brand new carb

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If the original carb is missing, get a 77-79 Qjet off an Olds 350 or 403.

bigt0006

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2012
Man I really wish I could have just got the transmission drive shaft and rear end off of my 85 salon before it unwillingly got junked. It had a olds th350 with a 10 bolt posi and I would have been able to just drop it right in with the exception of the shifter linkage it was a floor shift and this is a column shift only part I got a chance to save was the 307 out of it and I rebuilt that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor