Help with wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
Hey guys, I need help selecting some aftermarket wheels for my 83 Cutlass Supreme. My Cutlass is black with a red interior. I'm not sure if I should do black wheels with a chrome/polished lip or chrome/polished wheels. I just would like to have some opinions on what wheels would look good. I thought about 18/20, staggered 20"s, or 20/22". Here are a couple pics...

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... _large.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
I totally agree 5 spokes wheels look the best. Only problem with rallies is that they're not bigger than 15"s. Because my interior is red and I still have chrome trim, I'm not sure what color for the wheels. Looking at Boss 338 in black but not sure. Would love to have a non factory plus size wheel that fits the look of the car.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
83Montess & Oldsofb, thanks. I actually like the wheels in your pics. Oldsofb you are absolutely right. I think the black will work with red calipers. I think that's was what was missing from all the black cars with black wheels I've seen. It needs to be some contrast there. Those Rocket Boosters look good. I like that the spokes are straight up and down and not curved as the other 5 spokes; I think having straight spokes makes the wheels appear to be bigger.

Had my interior been black, I probably could get away with the blacked out look but some red needs to be somewhere in the wheel wells. Even the stock hub caps and rallies had the red rocket emblem and were black and chrome.

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
Will a 8.5" wheel work on the front with 5.25" backspacing? Also, will a 10" wide rear with 5.5" backspacing work on a Cutlass Supreme?

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
I know if you want some red in the back ground you can purchase a wheel disk covers and paint them red. Summit has red calipers for the cutlass. But I think the rims are nice. How large of a rim do you want to go?

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
As large as I would go would be 20 inches. 18"s would probably be less of a headache but Im stubborn. Thanks I'll be sure to check that website out.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
......It looks pretty damn good right now. I would get some real wire wheels and 1" whitewall tires, sliiick. Daytons are the only way to go, expensive though.

If you're set on 5 spoke, I really like Cragars, they make em in all sizes. Polished looks the best, black is hard to pull off unless it perfectly matches the paint and the rest of the trim. Chrome can look fake, and won't be any more lustrous as a clean polished set. 20 is pretty big, 18s would be good, you could also stagger it with a taller tire rather than a different sized rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor