intake gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pico79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
I am going to attempt to replace the valley pan gasket on my 260 this weekend, I am mechanically inclined to a certain point.. just have never done on one my own (always had a friend too help me out)
any tips or pointers that you all can give me, so that i can get done right the first time.
Thanks In Advance
Roger

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
My tips; use a little RTV around the water ports and use RTV on the end rails instead of the rubber gaskets.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Pico79 said:
DoubleV said:
My tips; use a little RTV around the water ports and use RTV on the end rails instead of the rubber gaskets.
got it, Thanks

If your going to use RTV let it sit over night and cure before you start it. also make sure any surface you apply RTV to is super clean, Use some Brake clean to remove any oil.
Also clean the intake bolts and apply some thread sealant to the threads and don't mix them up, keep them in order. Take your time and you should be fine.
( it might be a help if you can borrow or buy a Service manual for the 260.)

Pico79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
tc1959 said:
Pico79 said:
DoubleV said:
got it, Thanks

If your going to use RTV let it sit over night and cure before you start it. also make sure any surface you apply RTV to is super clean, Use some Brake clean to remove any oil.
Also clean the intake bolts and apply some thread sealant to the threads and don't mix them up, keep them in order. Take your time and you should be fine.
( it might be a help if you can borrow or buy a Service manual for the 260.)
Thanks,,should I apply any spray copper coat to the surface of the pan?

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
I agree with double v. No copper coat needed. No thread sealant needed on bolts, maybe some oil on threads, and follow torque pattern. Good luck.

project_862

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2013
Aurora, IL
Rtv is fine, but "the right stuff" is better, use the valley pan, ditch the front and rear seals and just use the right stuff, its made by permatex, and can be found at autozone, the right stuff is also a lot more oil resistant, you almost don't need to clean off oily surfaces, although it is good measure. And you don't need to let it sit over night, only about an hour for maximum strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor