How to ID 442?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
Hey guys, going to look at an '86 442 this weekend for sale locally. the price is reasonable enough just for it being an original v8 G body, but I was just wondering what are the easiest ways to ID it as a legit 442.

Thanks.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Real quick,

GT4 (3.73) and W42 (442 option) MUST be on the RPO sticker in the trunk. It'll have two colors noted either on the cowl tag or RPO trunk tag, one of them being silver (lower). And obiviously gold stripe package. Comes in Gray, Dark teal blue, black, or burgundy on top color.

15" wheels, 215/65/15 Goodyear Eagle GT ROWL tires. Check the tire placard decal in the door jamb- should show the tire size. If it has G80, it's a posi, but G80 was an option on all H/O and 442 G-bodies. No vinyl top ever. Reclining bucket seats and console shift with 307 and OD transmission. Dual outlet exhaust.

Also, 8th digit of the VIN MUST BE a 9 with a check digit to follow, then the year, G for '86. Will be a Salon body made in Pontiac. So the VIN will look like this : 1G3GK479(check digit goes here)GPxxxxxx

This isn't EVERYTHING. I could go on for a good while.

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
the RPO codes and VIN derivations are plenty enough for me. highly unlikely either of those is being faked on this car in my opinion (its obvious daily driver status, its storage condition,bugs/debris at base of windshield/condition of VIN plate, etc...) Its burgundy/silver, burgundy interior. Hoping I can take it home for around $3000-3300

maven

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2013
I'm hoping I can talk him down. He's at $4k which is still reasonable just not in my budget. Car has just been sitting unused largely for years. I went and ID'd it the other day and talked to owners son. The kid just wants it gone so he can get a Civic. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor