transmission linkage problem after accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

olds_gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2013
So I pulled the front clip today appears to be no frame damage I loosened the fenders because they're both in bad shape and the hood needs to come off the problem is it's about to snow any day now here in Anchorage, AK I have a garage but it's kind of small and I have my 70' olds 350 in there on a pallet and it needs to go on a engine stand so I can have some room to pull the car inside, I'm thinking about just pulling the 307 in the next month or so and getting the 350 ready to go in around spring of next year.
So my question is about the transmission linkage is I'm not sure where to start with it basically I've had to shift it into gear by grabbing the column and now it's really stiff I can barely get it into gear or park the shifter is on the floor for some reason the previous owner threw away the center console and the shifter is broken it looks like it was welded at some point when I got the car there was duck tape around it holding it together so the tape then broke I'll have to take a picture so you guys can see how shitty it looks, Not sure what aftermarket floor shifter I should get any suggestions my trans is a th350 by the way, I looked under the car at the linkage nothing looked broken more than likely bent I'm assuming I really need to jack it up put it on stands in the garage and replace the whole front suspension probably get drop spindles, upper and lower a arms the hole nine this winter including the rear suspension. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
not sure why the pictures I upload are sideways

Attachments

• 20131024_160002.jpg
    20131024_160002.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 386

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the cable for the floor shifter is still connected then it could be the cable is corroded and causing the problem shifting with the linkage. I don't see how that accident could have affected anything to do with shifting

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
For a 350 trans B&M is a middle of the road reliable shifter price wise - I think most would agree. No luck on that $1,000 Cutlass in the area, eh? That might have been a better option to swap everything over since you did indeed discover frame damage...

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
If B&M still makes the Z-Gate shifter it is a good, moderatly priced shifter. It has action like a ratchet shifter so no over shifting thru second and into third, or thru third into neutral! Also has full reverse lockout( NHRA legal) in case your local track requires it. Cable operated, and has provisions for reverse light switch. Do I sound too much like a comercial for B&M??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor