W-30 Styled hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Does anyone know the specific dimensions of the W-30 styled hood. I have plans of possibly fabricating this hood next week in my Street Rod class. Its only going to cost me $50 and my time doing the fabricating, metal finishing, and to prep for paint. the only specs I could find so far are that the sides of the cowls are 90 degrees and simply pictures of the actual thing. I plan on making the scoops functional. This would be greatly appreciated.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Hey WyoKid, If your making one from scratch, then use the angles of your Cutlass to reference the scoops. The W-30 hood for our cars literally put the 1970 scoops on a 80s car. It never looked right to me. I wanted to build some my way, for the longest time. Just never got around to it. So, I say take this chance to create a style to compliment the lines of the 80s Cutlass.
Just my 2 cents.
T

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The sides of the scoops are 90* to what? If its to the hood that doesn't sound right at all. They had a little bit of an angle IIRC and none of the aftermarket ones look right anyway. I would do what jetsetw said and make one based off of the hood for these cars. Something that doesn't look like it was thrown together by an aftermarket company as a quick money grab.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Vfn has actually fixed those issues on their w-25 (w-30) hood.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
The sides of the scoops are 90* to what?

you got me, like I said that was all I got for information, that's why I came here to ask, I believe I'm going take your guys advice a try to make one from scratch to compliment the body lines.

I want your opinions for an idea, should I erase the body lines of the stock hood but work the scoops to flow and match with sides body lines. or keep the stock bodylines of the hood and incorporate the scoops to match?

Also could I ask a favor of a few members to post pictures of the front end of their cars and the hoods in relation to help get the proper proportions. I don't have access to my car and no one else has a cutlass on campus for a reference.(plenty of regals, monte carlos, and grandprix's) All I'm going to have is a second hood I'm going to purchase up here to start modifying. Thank You if you can.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would base it off of the hood not the car. Have the scoops mimic the body lines on the hood.

I had the same idea but as a fiberglass bolt on. I posted some pics here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38763#.UmxbnWLD_IU
I have both scoops made out of foam, getting ready to make a mold.
I'd like to see it when it's done, I had considered using steel originally.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
As soon as i get second hood i will have the templates made and pics on here.

i didnt think it would be this hard find a hood

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
I have looked in damn near every salvage yard and craigslist adds with in nearly a hundred miles from Blairsvile PA and am having no luck finding a second hood. Does any know who or has a stock hood that they are williing to sell, who are located around Pittsburgh, PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor