Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoslvr442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2013
HOLY TOLEDO
So I am looking at 2 cars, 1986 442 pretty loaded, t-tops, crate 307 20k miles, rebuilt trans, some restoring etc. Looks great in and out. The other is an 84 H/O, over 100k mils, nothing done to it except mufflers, t-tops, decent in pretty good out. Which would you guys buy. Price difference is $3k.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Depends on what your goal is for a classic car owner ( all orig, pro touring, strip n strip, cruiser, ect... ). Make yourself a checklist of ultimate wants vs needs for both cars and see which comes closer to your expectation.

The big plus to the 442 is that it has the beefier 8.5 rear w/ 3.73 ratio & 200r4 OD Trans. However if chev power is in your future then your have some work ahead.

Being the Monte is an 84 ( like mine ) you will have the smaller 7.5 rear w/3.42 ratio, 350c lockup trans ( no OD ) and chev powertrain ( making it slightly cheaper to build for more power ). The blue interior / exterior was a 2 year only deal for 83-84 models making them stand out a little. ( mine is white on blue )

My personal preference is I wouldn't own another car with T-tops so neither car you mention would appeal to me.

However after owning and modding my monte for the last 6-7 years; if I were to do it over again I would get a loaded hardtop 442, beef up the 200r4 trans and drop a 403 in place of the 307 and call it a cruiser.

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
IMO the Hurst/Olds is better looking car & it is cheaper, you could upgrade later,just depends what you want to do with it D/D or show

yoslvr442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2013
HOLY TOLEDO
My goal is for it to be a DD. I was wanting to do a motor swap and trans swap. T56 or something like that. If i go with the 442 it already has newer parts and I would feel like I would not have to do much, still would want to do a manual tho. Where the H/O I wouldnt feel bad about tearing it apart since its not as fresh. Both would be getting odds and ends.

In the end a manual swap will happen. Probably a motor, one sooner than the other. Still debating Olds or LS engine. I am a true Olds guy so the thought of putting a chevy in there hurts, but if I want a good DD its hard to pass on the LS motor.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
axisg said:
Being the Monte is an 84 ( like mine ) you will have the smaller 7.5 rear w/3.42 ratio, 350c lockup trans ( no OD ) and chev powertrain ( making it slightly cheaper to build for more power ). The blue interior / exterior was a 2 year only deal for 83-84 models making them stand out a little. ( mine is white on blue )

I think he's talking about an '84 Hurst Olds (H/O) not a Monte in which case it would also have the 8.5" rear.

DaveyT442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2013
SW Minnesota
IMHO, I'd get the 442 and to the T56 swap! Even a 307 will be a fun DD with a manual, use a hurst shifter and and old school 4spd ball! The H/O should have lighning rods and should stay that way....

Just my .02!
You will have a nice ride which ever road you choose!

yoslvr442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2013
HOLY TOLEDO
yeah i was kinda thinking that way as well. Thanks for all the inputs guys.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I am not one for originality, but in the case of these two car options, I am not sure I would totally swap out drivetrains on a H/O or a 442. Why not get a cheaper, base model that you would feel less uncomfortable modifying?

yoslvr442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2013
HOLY TOLEDO
well bottom line is i have a 71 442 and i want to stay with 442s. I like the uniqueness and the somewhat rarity of them.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
FE3X CLONE said:
axisg said:

I think he's talking about an '84 Hurst Olds (H/O) not a Monte in which case it would also have the 8.5" rear.

:oops: my bad, thought I seen SS in there LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor