floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
Hello, I need help fixing my floor shifter, it doesn't lock any more. I was told it is the spring inside can someone
please explain how to take it apart to get to it.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Is the console out? thats the hardest part

To start take the ashtray out. Then remove horseshoe clip on top p/s of shifter below handle, and remove shifter handle(check shifter handle to make sure plastic pieces aren't broken inside causing your problem, also Gbodyparts make replacement parts that are aluminum instead of plastic and this is a fine time to upgrade). Then there are 4 clips that hold the woodgrain insert in(just like radio bezel woodgrain). You can lift up the black ribbed slider thing that sits around shifter and on the bottom of it twist the light out. After that there is a connector in front of the console I believe on the p/s that connects to wires for console light and shift indicator light. Then there are 3 bolts inside the console itself (I usually remove the console lid to make it easier, which is held on by 3 screws). Then under the woodgrain insert there are 4 screws that hold the upper portion of the console on. Next is the worst part...the entire console separates in half. Be very careful where the console slopes down where ashtray is...I broke mine the 1st time I had it out. After that its pretty self explanatory. When looking at the shifter at the bottom of the handle there will be 2 holes, one on either side front and back. The spring is hooked on both holes and runs underneath holding pressure on shifter rod.

...phew seems a lot worse than it is, like I said the hardest part is removing top half of console without breaking it in half. I actually have my console out at the moment so if you need me to post pictures just let me know. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor