Daily driver advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

judgeman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2013
It's been 20 years since I owned a g-body and I have the urge for another one. I'm just looking for something to commute 80 miles once or twice a week. Not looking for a hot rod, just a nice Cutlass to cruise. I have an all wheel drive van for winter so this is just a fair weather car. My question is if there's a significant difference in gas mileage between the 4.3 and the 5.0? Ideally I'd rather have the 8 but there a are a couple clean 6 cylinder cars nearby and I can get a nicer car for the money because of the motor. Yes, ideally I'd love to drive an 83 HO and I may have one again but that's not the purpose of this car. Just looking for a clean driver. Any thoughts?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you're just looking for a clean daily driver, and power really isn't an issue for you, then the V6 will work fine, and overall on a long commute the fuel economy will probably be a bit better. I don't belive that GM made the 4.3 V6 available in the Cutlass line, unless you're talking about the 260 Olds V8, which was available in the Cutlass line during the '78-'80 years. The later Cutlasses used the 3.8 V6, which was the Buick 231 V6 with a 2 barrel carb. As far as I know, the 4.3 V6 was only available in the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix from 1985-1987, with the TBI fuel injection setup. If you're interested in something with more power (and more fun to drive IMO), and overall fuel economy isn't at the top of your list, then look for something with a V8 under the hood. Good luck in your search.

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I have a 78 Cutlass A body with the 260 V8 and it's great as a DD and on the highway. I get between 18 and 20 MPG on the highway. It would get better than that if there was not as much ethanol in the gas. It has plenty of torque and has enough power up to 75 mph. After that, it loses power.

judgeman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2013
I found a couple candidates. There are a few Cutlasses that fit the bill nearby all running n the 2-4 grand range for a decent car. However, I stumbled upon an 81 Malibu coupe the other day. 53k miles, one owner little old man. The body is straight as an arrow and the interior is like brand new. Trunk is perfect, bumpers are like new as well. It's a v6 car with a/c and cloth interior. Blue over blue( exactly the same as my very first car back in 1985). The downside is some rust. Drivers door is gone, both lower quarters are toast and one fender. Im not talking rot box here, just enough rust to not want to fill it and spray. rockers are perfect.It's been a long time since I looked into these cars but I've started snooping since seeing this one. These malibus were everywhere ten years ago but there's none anywhere worth even looking at in New England. Sill plenty of Cutlasses but the Malibus are rare as hell. Of course the Cutlass was built for six years longer but still. So, do I go for a Cutlass that's a runner for 3 grand or this Bu for half the money and fix her up?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If it was me I'd avoid any and all rust as there is probably more you can't see. As for the V-6 my '81 Malibu wagon had the 229 Chevy 6 that sucked completely as it's just a 305 minus 2 cylinders. Power and mileage were awful and the biggest thing I remember owners bitching about '80s cars was the lament "I should have gone with the 8 because the mileage is terrible and it has no power".

judgeman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2013
I agree the 3.8 isn't a powerhouse but I remember my old 78 with the 267 was also a slug. This isn't a treet rod, just a beater. As far as rust. I know where to look. Frame is solid, floors are clean. For this area, the rust is actually not bad. Plus it's a legit 50k mile one owner car. This isn't my ideal cruiser but the budgets tight. Ultimately, I'm going for a Calais or Salon T-top car in light sage green if I can find one.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
The V6's were fair at best. I originally had the 3.8 Buick in my cutlass. Decent mileage but no power at all. I would try to find one with as lil work needed as possible. Olds actually used the 4.3 olds 260 V8 in the Cutlass up to 1982, if looking for a cruiser cutlass, I'd prefer one with the 307 V8. malibus are nice too, I just personally wouldn't want one with a V6. The old V6's are nothing like the V6's of today.

judgeman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2013
I hear that. Again, just looking for a driver/beater. I figured if I love the car it's a good candidate for a small block swap. Still rather have a cutlass but there's nothing comparable for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor