olds keyway on crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
does anyone know where I can find a keyway for an old crank and maybe a picture . will this cause the crank pulley and harmonic balancer to move and break belts>

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
The keyway will not cause that, the keyway is a groove that the balancer slides over and keeps it from slipping/ spinning freely. The harmonic balancer bolt could come loose and cause the balancer to walk or the outer ring on the balancer could have come loose and cause the issues you are experiencing.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
The olds crank has a woodruff key its quite long and locks the balancer and cam gear in place. Never had a problm with it moving, in fact it was pretty tough to get out both times I pulled it. The big washer on the balancer bolt would stop it from moving. I'd look into other things first if you're eating belts. Check for burrs on pulleys or misalignment.

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
I do know that I have an alignment problem because of the water pump is the short neck instead of the long neck like the 307 . the pulleys I had for the 307 that I try to use on the 350 touch crankpulley

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
Re: olds keyway on crank balancer

what is the measurement of the 307 balancer and 350 and 455 balancers. also need the measurement for long neck and short neck water pump...

crankpulley bolt didn't have a washer on it . :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor