Gas Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubd31000

n00b
Dec 5, 2013
Hey all Im looking at a 88 cutlass with a 350 sbc bored 40. I want it but I am curious as to what kind of gas mileage I would be getting I usually drive short distances but I travel home and I would like to know what I should expect.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
We are gonna need alot more info. Like rear gears, transmission, cam, heads, carb...etc.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
dubd31000 said:
Hey all Im looking at a 88 cutlass with a 350 sbc bored 40. I want it but I am curious as to what kind of gas mileage I would be getting I usually drive short distances but I travel home and I would like to know what I should expect.

having more specifics about the car will help but no guarantee that that mpg is within your reasonable price range. The motor is only part of the equation, more specifically (what has been done to the motor, what kind of HP and torque its been rated at or built to), whats the gear for the rearend? what kind of transmission (automatic 3 speed or 4 speed or manual, if manual, 4 speed or 5)? All this information is critically important as to knowing about what your mpg would be, and then theres the driving habits of the driver. Your question was posted as very basic for the answer your looking for. AND, if your intending to drive this as a daily driver or will it be weekend or occasional cruiser, plays a part in mpg and out of pocket expense for gas. Keep all this in mind, don't just think because its a 350 sbc that all the above needed information doesn't add to the bottom line of mpg and gas expense. Good Luck!

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Mileage depends on a lot of variables: gearing, transmission, tire size, converter, how radical the engine is, etc. just to name a few. When I was back in college almost 20 years ago I had a 9.5:1 355 SBC with double hump heads in my 1980 Cutlass that was near stock with the exception of the Performer intake, headers, and Comp 268H cam. It had a 700r4 with a 3.23 posi and 2200 converter and I rebuilt a Q-jet to sit on top. If you drove it sensibly I got 19 mpg a few times on the highway. Being a kid back then it seemed hard for me to drive sensibly, but it did happen on occasion.

dubd31000

n00b
Dec 5, 2013
Sorry To be so vague with the description Im gonna ask him some more info later he didnt say to much so I was just curious. Ill try to get more info tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor