Need info on 200r4 MXO code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013
Just got and 85 442 trans code MXO is this a lock up trans? The car has 63,478 mile on it now all original I'm planing on replace the 307 for a 403 I build. If this trans is a lock up has anyone ever made a manual switch for the lock up as i wont be using the carb or distributor the ecm uses feedback from them to lock up the converter. The trans works great with the 307 hits a hard second when your on the gas hard.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
I also have an '85 442. It has the 2004-R transmission. Everything is electronic and I was wanting to convert the carburetor over and was told I would have to change everything. I know that TCI & B&M make an external lock out for that transmission. I chose to keep everything original though so I never went forward with the switch.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
yes the ECM does control converter lock up, when you install your new motor you will need a external convertor lock up kit, they are not very expensive and can be bought at places like Jegs or Summit. You will also need to do a small amount of rewiring/removing a relay to keep your air cond. working if you plan to keep it.

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013
rose350 said:
I also have an '85 442. It has the 2004-R transmission. Everything is electronic and I was wanting to convert the carburetor over and was told I would have to change everything. I know that TCI & B&M make an external lock out for that transmission. I chose to keep everything original though so I never went forward with the switch.
I'm planning before putting the 403 in, to rebuild the trans an up date the weak parts. I'm getting every thing from Art Carr's California transmission. http://www.cpttransmission.com/index.htm. I want to keep the original trans. I'm going to crate the 307 if i ever sale the car, the original engine go with it if they want to restore it back.

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013
jociha said:
yes the ECM does control converter lock up, when you install your new motor you will need a external convertor lock up kit, they are not very expensive and can be bought at places like Jegs or Summit. You will also need to do a small amount of rewiring/removing a relay to keep your air cond. working if you plan to keep it.
I've seen them for 700r4 before . I'll look for the 200r4 one. and what relay r u talking about? the A/C looks like the older style doesn't look like it's controlled by the ecm like an OBD2 system . YES the A/C stays I live in Texas it gets hot as hell here..LOL

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There is one wire that needs grounded to keep the A/C working. Same thing for the cruise, needs the black wire grounded at the speed sensor.

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013
olds307 and 403 said:
There is one wire that needs grounded to keep the A/C working. Same thing for the cruise, needs the black wire grounded at the speed sensor.
Do u have a wire diagram u can post of that? So i know where to look?

ric85442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2013
jociha said:
Thxs for the heads up I found the kit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600/overview/

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
There is a relay mounted under the hood hanging on the front of the A/C housing. Remove the relay you will not need it, connect the black with green stripe to the black with white stripe this will bypass ECM control. Brown should go to ECM so remove it and tape off green wire.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Quick question.. These TCC Lock up Kits can be a little pricey. Isn't it just as simple as closing and opening a circuit? I don't see why you wouldn't just be able to buy a switch and run some wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor