drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

geturdone327

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2012
alberta, canada
I read on here some time ago about a aluminum drive shaft that comes stock on some type of vehicle that is the perfect length for doing a 700r4 swap just need to replace the yoke. I think the s10 was one of them and there was another. I don't want to use the s10 one cuz it's huge but there was another one that was about 3 inches in diameter. Anybody know which driveshaft I'm talking about and what vehicle I would find it in. I think I remember it being in an f body but I don't know what years or style. Thanks in advance

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Good Morning Guys; I happen to have that (or very similar) Colman shaft in my spare parts inventory. I purchased it with yoke & joints back in 98, used it for 4400 miles and put it back in the box. And the box is under my bench buried under 40 years of car & driver, hot rod and many spare parts. I had it made for my 9C1 Malibu w/ 700r4 & Buick 8.5 diff. Mr RKRUZIN may I ask what you payed for yours and what year did you buy it. I also have the cross member for the 700R4 installation. Mr geturdone327 if you want to make me an offer I can't refuse I'll move all those parts and magazines and measure it. Bob Jr.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
So why the disclaimer that their shafts are for racing only and not for street use?

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I wondered the exact same thing because they are quite a bit less expensive than ordering a custom length one.
Roy

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Merry Christmas All; I've got two, one in the car with 40,000-50,000 miles and my spare for the 700R4 and
when I purchased them 1997-98 time line they were special orders, cost big bucks and Colman knew that the shafts were going on a street car. But I was warned that 600 HP Max! Times were different then. And I may have mis-stated mileage of spare short (700R4) shaft, it would be closer to 7500 miles two summers. Many of us had more torque or more traction on our Christmas lists. I hope Santa didn't confuse who gets witch! Wishing everyone a New Year with a couple of tenths off your ET. Bob Jr.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is their disclaimer: "WARNING:These driveshafts are not for street use or drag racing."
So they appear to be more of a circle track only item for a car with limited horsepower.
So I'm guessing if you have a street or drag car looking to shave some weight with an aluminum driveshaft
then probably another source might be better, it does explain the very reasonable price though.
I myself have a custom steel DTS driveshaft that works flawlessly so I'll stick with that.

Reactions: 1 user

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
So back to the original question. Is there a vehicle that came with a 49.5" shaft that can be found in a pull a part? I understand that the first gen Camaro did but not too many of them at the junk yards.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
565bbchevy said:
This is their disclaimer: "WARNING:These driveshafts are not for street use or drag racing."
So they appear to be more of a circle track only item for a car with limited horsepower.
So I'm guessing if you have a street or drag car looking to shave some weight with an aluminum driveshaft
then probably another source might be better, it does explain the very reasonable price though.
I myself have a custom steel DTS driveshaft that works flawlessly so I'll stick with that.

alot of circle track products come with that warning so there is no liability if something go wrong. Alot of the parts we buy for our circle track cars don't even come with installation instructions so if it breaks there is no liability for the manufacturer cause we can't claim we followed the instructions. As for the aluminum drive shaft that Coleman is rated for 600 hp. The thing that concerns me with the Coleman shaft is it's balanced without the slip yoke so there is no way of knowing what direction the slip yoke needs to be installed to keep it in phase. The u joints on the Coleman shaft are 1310 so a conversion u joint will be needed at each end

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I dont know about an aluminium shaft but on my GP I used a 2nd gen F body shaft. I found the info on the malibu racing tech pages that a 2nd gen F body with a BUICK V6 is the right length for a 700-R4/ T5 with a 7.5 rear in a gbody, so thats what I used in my 81 Grand prix with a T-5 and a 7.5 rear and it fit great. It also said that a 2nd gen F car with any other engine SBC ect. was the right lenght for a 700-r4 / T5 with an 8.5 inch rear. Hope that helps you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor