Wireing Diagram and Layout Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
I'm tired of every time I look under the hood I see the giants nest of wires and hoses. I got rid of the smog pump and the emissions crap. but I still have the lines and wires every which way due to me not knowing at the time where everything went. Does anyone have pics or something that would help me route everything where its supposed to be. Also what can be deleted for the air conditioning?

Attachments

• downsized_1227131631.jpg
    downsized_1227131631.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 463

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
Get yourself the Oldsmobile electrical troubleshooting manual, it is a copy of the book the dealers used at the time,they are reproduced and not very expensive, you will find you don't know how you got along without it.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you. That will help a lot.

Also if I was to change my mind later on down the road that I wanted to delete the air conditioning all together to clean up the rest of the engine bay. How do I go about taking out all the components?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
WyoKid said:
Also if I was to change my mind later on down the road that I wanted to delete the air conditioning all together to clean up the rest of the engine bay. How do I go about taking out all the components?

Unbolt them, then remove them. With that said, don't delete your AC unless you're planning on swapping in a complete factory non-AC setup. Just unbolting AC components looks tacky as hell. Total hack job IMO. Keep it classy. Keep your AC or delete it the right way. I think more people would think your car looked cool with the AC rather than the half-*ss removal of it.

There are tons of things under the hood you don't need and some things you do. Don't start hacking sh*t up before you even know what you're doing. Even when my car was still running on the computer, I eliminated lots of stuff that wasn't needed and my engine compartment looked good ( yes I kept my AC ). I have since removed the computer and all associated wiring and dodads. It looks a bit cleaner now but not by alot. Again, still have my AC too. My engine bay looks uncluttered and 'stock'. Unless you know these cars came from the factory with a sh*t-ton of emissions/computer stuff, you would think my engine was pretty much stock other than the headers.

So in a nutshell, delete what you don't need. Leave the stuff you need. Don't delete perfectly functioning things ( like AC and cruise ) just to clean things up. Only remove the REAL clutter.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
jociha said:
Get yourself the Oldsmobile electrical troubleshooting manual, it is a copy of the book the dealers used at the time,they are reproduced and not very expensive, you will find you don't know how you got along without it.

Agreed! The nice thing about the 87 model year is that the electrical section is included in the main manual. There is a supplement available, but I haven't needed that yet. The full manual has all the schematics you need. It is absolutely invaluable. Factory Auto Manuals usually has them, as does ebay. Do a google search and see what you find. https://www.google.com/search?q=87+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You won't regret getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor