3rd brake light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayPat83

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I do not remember my 84 Cutlass having a 3rd brake light, but my 87 does. Does my memory serve me correct that the 84 didn't have a 3rd brake light?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
You are 100% correct no third brake light in 84

JayPat83

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2013
Knoxville, TN
onebadasscutlass said:
I have an 84 and I have one. The interior is all stock for the most part

Is it a Supreme or Brougham? My 84 was a Brougham like my 87. My 84 also had power front seats and my 87 doesnt.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
84 did not require them but many were outfitted with them via a kit. Weren't required until 1986 for cars, and 1994 for light trucks. However, dealers could get and install CHMSL "kits" and simply installed it after the fact on any cars prior to that. In fact, I believe it was advertised as an available option in the 1985 Cutlass literature, but I'd have to check for sure. I cannot find any option RPO code for 85 to get the lamp factory installed, so I'm guessing it was still a dealer-installed item in 85. Notice that 86-up Cutlass rear defogger equipped vehicles have the defogger wire "cutout" that didn't send the wire across the lens of the stoplight. 85 and earlier rear defogger wires went straight across.

Ah, found a picture of the 85 brochure.

1985%20Oldsmobile%20Cutlass%20Ciera%20%20Cdn%20-07.jpg

JayPat83

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2013
Knoxville, TN
69hurstolds said:
84 did not require them but many were outfitted with them via a kit. Weren't required until 1986 for cars, and 1994 for light trucks. However, dealers could get and install CHMSL "kits" and simply installed it after the fact on any cars prior to that. In fact, I believe it was advertised as an available dealer-installed option in the 1985 Cutlass literature, but I'd have to check for sure. Notice that 86-up Cutlass rear defogger equipped vehicles have the defogger wire "cutout" that didn't send the wire across the lens of the stoplight. 85 and earlier rear defogger wires went straight across.

Yes my rear window defrost would give it away that there was once a 3rd brake light on this car. Good point!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My 83' Monte did not come with a third brake light but I added one from an 88'.
I have been rear ended twice while driving Gbodies without third brake lights ( I like to think having one might have helped) and both times it was the car 2 cars back that hit us, so I installed mine for safety the same reason GM added them and my feeling is if it helps cars behind me and farther back see me stop and avoid a collision I am all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor