Car won't go over 20 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
I'm having a problem with my 87 cutlass with the 307 engine. I just replaced the carb with a brand new stock carb and now my check engine light is on and the car will not go over 20 mph . What could be my problem?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Is it not shifting? What happens when it hits 20mph?

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
The first place to start is with the codes. Pull the codes and post them. Why was the carb replaced? I'm guessing the car went over 20 mph before the carb replacement? Did you make sure the tv cable was put back on properly?

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
seawolf18 said:
The first place to start is with the codes. Pull the codes and post them. Why was the carb replaced? I'm guessing the car went over 20 mph before the carb replacement? Did you make sure the tv cable was put back on properly?

The carb was replaced because the old one needed to be rebuilt it wouldn't run unless we poured gas in the carb. The car did go over 20 mph before the carb was replaced. I put the carb back on the same way that I took it off.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
-83MONTESS- said:
Is it not shifting? What happens when it hits 20mph?

I doesn't feel like it is shifting when it hits 20 mph I just stays stuck there. The car also seems light it is idling too high.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Jeezycol said:
I just replaced the carb with a brand new stock carb

Really? A BRAND NEW stock carb? Where did you get that?

Now if you replaced your stock card with a REBUILT stock carb, then I would say it is very possible this rebuilt carb was rebuilt incorrectly. Where did you get it?

Either way, you need to provide us with more details on your current setup and tune. Some pics may help too.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
DoubleV said:
Jeezycol said:
I just replaced the carb with a brand new stock carb

Really? A BRAND NEW stock carb? Where did you get that?

Now if you replaced your stock card with a REBUILT stock carb, then I would say it is very possible this rebuilt carb was rebuilt incorrectly. Where did you get it?

Either way, you need to provide us with more details on your current setup and tune. Some pics may help too.

We'll it is a rebuilt stock carb and it was ordered from national carburetors.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Thats a computerized quadrajet? Maybe the solenoids in the carb are bad? forget to plug them in? Clogged fuel filter maybe? Does it sputter and backfire? rev up fine in park or neutral? You didn't give too much to go on...

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Check to make sure the fuel filter is not in backwards. Also check the TV cable adjustment, if your car has that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor