Change of plans for the 86 Cutlass, found a running 350 Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013
Well I decided to just go ahead and have the whole bottom end of the Olds 455 rebuilt the right way by an engine builder instead of just trying to swap in new bearings and taking my chances. With the amount of luck that I have I don't think I should take my chances. I'd also like to throw on a shift kit to the TH400 before I throw that in there as well. I also need to find a yoke for that transmission. Anyone know where I can find one that will fit the TH400 and the smaller Cutlass driveshaft? But for now I found a local guy who just so happened to have a good running Olds 350 he will sell me for $500. So I am going to take that route and just swap that motor in with the already installed 200-4R. He said the 350 is around the 79-80 era so the HP and Torque rating is not to extreme for the little 200-4R. But I'd also like some input on this set up as well. I was just planning on running the engine stock with a new aluminum intake, 600cfm carb, and pair of headers. Just a cruiser for now until the big block is done. Maybe a little trompin here and there... but mainly just want to get the car rolling. Just super glad I found a local guy with a good 350 sitting around.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Re: Change of plans for the 86 Cutlass, found a running 350

Offer him less since it's the wimpiest 350 Olds made.... :wink:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Agreed, it should cost much less. The heads are crack prone and it was rated at a whooping 165 hp/265 tq. $500 is nearly the 455 price here. I paid $120 for my nice running 76 350. I took the guys word as mine was sitting on the shop floor, it was very nice inside. Some people are honest and he agreed on $30 less. I would bring an oil pressure gauge and compression tester. I would keep the stock Qjet on that engine, if it is there.

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013

Dang, that's it huh? To be honest I really do not want that engine anymore lol. How easy was it to get these motors to bump up abit? Just a swap of an earlier year of heads and a potential cam upgrade?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

sadisticsavage said:
Dang, that's it huh? To be honest I really do not want that engine anymore lol. How easy was it to get these motors to bump up abit? Just a swap of an earlier year of heads and a potential cam upgrade?

Yes, that would make a big difference. Do some basic performance work on a set of early heads and with the right cam it will run really well. Add some simple bolt-ons like better intake and headers/exhaust and you got yourself a fun little engine. This off course assumes you have the right setup aka rear gears and a decent stall.

P.S. You would have to calculate what your actual compression ratio would be with the older set of heads ( which you can mill for more of course ) before selecting a cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor