Quick question... 455 head swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013
Hey guys. I was looking around on craigslist and I found a 1975 Olds 455 with the "J" smog heads. I looked it up and it says these are pretty low in hp making around 200 hp. But I have a 71 455 that I have already bought. I was wondering if there would be any gain if I were to purchase the 75 but swap the heads. And if so how much of a gain. I am not expecting a big amount but anything is better than 200 hp from a big block. I was just thinking of taking this route because the 75' was built by Joe Mondello and is in running condition. And my 455 has not yet been established as a running condition motor. Anyway... thanks for any feedback I can get.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
What castings are on the 71? originally they would use a G not the best head but it is better than a J. Personally I would look for a set of C castings if yours need to be rebuilt anyway finding a set of C heads and having them rebuilt would be more worthwhile as they are said to be the best flowing of all them.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have a nice set of low mileage J heads I need to sell. I took them off my low mileage 455 that was built by the Oldsmobile engineering team back in the day. The motor has less than 20K. the pics show how they looked when I removed them. PM me if interested.....I'm not looking to make a fortune on these. I'm in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor