SMI Quadrajet Carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
Ok....i need a little help. I recently received my carburetor I order from SMI for my '85 442. The question I have is that it has an electronic choke but there is no plug on the side of it to plug my 12V power source into. The carburetor I took off did. Does anyone know how the choke will work without the power source?

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
To be honest.....I don't know. I do know that the carburetor that I took off isn't the original carburetor so someone might ran the wire because they put that style of qradrajet on it. I have only seen electronic choke.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
The hot air choke has a tube connected to the intake manifold that senses engine temp. You should see a spot right below the choke on the manifold for it. If you had an electric choke it will probably be blocked off.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would convert over to electric choke, the coil from the other carb will fit. I don't know why Olds didn't do it when chebby did, a better set up. There is a possibility of a vacuum leak threw the hole in the choke housing. The reason is the hot air used a gasket and had a tube hooked to the housing. I would dab silicone over both holes, one inside and on the back of the housing and let them cure. I used epoxy but that would make things complicated for a warranty exchange, if needed.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
My carburetor that I took off must have been modified or something cause it had the tube that goes into the intake and had a 12V power supply wire going to the choke. I have haven't fired the engine yet so I guess I will see how it acts. I'm not going to mess with putting silicon on the carburetor. I'm going to trust that SMI knows what they are doing when building carburetors. Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate the help.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I think you should post a few pics of your carb, choke, and intake so we can see exactly what it is you got going on.

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
I want to thank everyone for the help and advice. I fired the car up last night. It only took one pump of the gas and she fired and purred like a kitten. I didn't even have to turn one screw. Everyone who steered me towards SMI carburetors was a very excellent choice. I found out after I got the old carburetor off that the hot air choke was plugged off but still hooked up so someone had added the electric choke to the carburetor.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Glad to hear that. I only suggested silicone for warranty. I may consider one of his Qjet's for my 425 SBO, his carbs have proven gains or generic Summit Qjets at the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor