Car cover choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I need to get a decent car cover for my '83 Hurst. Any recommendations? Something that fits well, breathes, but keeps the dust off and sheds rain reasonably well.
Thanks all!

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
The first cover I purchased years ago was blue and it was a cheaper one that didn't really do anything other than cover it. I recall the last one I have was from pepboys or something and its a green / tan material, molded pockets for the mirrors and zippers for the doors. It does well for keeping water off the car. I also scotch guarded it to help with shedding water. If you want a decent car cover you going to be set back at least $100-$150. Cover craft / ready -fit i think was the brand

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
If you dont have a garage and are trying to protect your car from the elements theres a company called shelterlogic you should look into.
Theres a guy on youtube that bought one for his 69 chevelle the channels called bigpaw64 all one word il link you to the video i dont think there that expensive but i cant remember prices off the top off my head but they work really well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSBhIxtX-4

Check out his other vids too he can even work on his car in it.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
if your looking into a canopy for it , i've used the shelterlogic stuff for years. Make sure to get the 12x20 with the larger diameter poles. ive had two over the last 10 years, they hold up well to snow , but you need to run a few lengths of rope if your in snowy areas. This helps distribute the weight , well worth the $$ after throwing some stone down to park the car in the summer months

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have used the California Car Covers, not the cheap ones, but the storm weave or what not. They lasted years.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I also have a shelter logic tent. Not bad for the price, but definitely make sure you're ok zoning wise with your town. Also, be careful with placement, especially if you get any snow in your area. You don't want it built up on the roof, and better yet when it slides down the side it needs somewhere to go. Mine is 2' off my dad's garage and its just as close as I'd go because with all the snow we've had this year I have to go between the 2 and shovel it out so the snow isn't pushing the side of the tent over. Anyway, it does much better than a cover in my driveway did, and yes you can work on it some in there, though it can be cramped at times.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
Marty, you said exactly what the problem is with those canopy shelters, they are a good item to have. I've used nylon rope from lowes or home depot and ran 4 lines on each side of the roof to carry the snow weight. With all the recent snow we have had here my canopy held up just fine without removing the snow. The neighbors however didnt do what I did to my canopy and now they have a 2nd canopy that was totally flattened by the snow weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor