backspacing on a 86' Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013
Whats the most backspace I can run on the rear of a stock 1986 Cutlass Supreme? I was wanting to run 15x10 or 15x8 rims. Most are about 4.5" or 5" backspacing. The reason I ask is there is pictures of a beautiful cutlass running those after market rallye wheels but the only 15x10s I can find in that option rim is 5". Im not really interested in running adapters so thats why I ask. Ive done the forum search but cannot seem to get a straight answer.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
You will get all kinds of replies on this question. I thought these cars were all pretty much the same but apparently not.
HOWEVER, based on my experience with my personal cars. I have found that a 4 1/2" back spacing with a "bulging" tire will tend to rub lightly on the inside. A 4" back spacing actually worked better for me. But the 4 1/2 worked too. It would just rub enough to rub the paint off the frame.

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013
Alrighty good to know. Thank you very much. I plan on running a 15x10 with 4.5 backspacing with a 275 tire. What size tire did you run?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Easiest way to check is to measure your car and find out.

But 5" BS isn't going to fit without hitting the frame. I don't remember what my measurement was but from the wheel mounting face on the brake drum to the frame was less than 5" if I recall.

I think total wheel well width was around 11".

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
I hope this works or you can find it. 275 tires look very nice on a 8in rim. I have seen 275's on the factory 7in rims and that looks good. You could try putting one 275 on the factory 7in wheel, install it and take some measurments to see what back space will work compared to your factory wheel backspace. This frame notch article will gain you about an inch but 10in rims may be difficult to get under your wheel well.http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2008/iii_8-frame-1.html

sadisticsavage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 16, 2013
Well I googled and googled and found that the 275s dont look bad on an 8inch rim like you said. And a friend of mine has 15x10s with a 275 tires with a 1.25" spacer on his Monte Carlo. So for now I will just buy the 15x8s but in the future move up to the expensive 15x10 rims Im drooling over haha. The 8s do not look bad at all with that 275 on it. Thanks for you help guys. Backspacing is such a funny deal when you can like three different 10" wide rims but they all have different backspacing. But to make things easy I might just buy one of those tools that measures what you cars actual allowance is.

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
my welds have 4 inch back spacing, there 15x8s with 275s, i dont look the look of it, gonna drop it down to a 255/50

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
cutty said:
my welds have 4 inch back spacing, there 15x8s with 275s, i dont look the look of it, gonna drop it down to a 255/50
What don't you like about it, do they fit in the wheelwells, if the car goes low for any reason or will the tire rub on the outside lip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor