87 Cutlass 442, Shifter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
So I have an 87 Olds 442, 307 V8. Recently I took out a bad transmission and replaced it with a 200r4. However, it came from an 89 Caprice so the "gear lever"(i think thats what it's called) that hooks up the shifter cable, is for a column shifter. I bought one for a grand national, hoping it would work but it doesnt seem right. I have been looking for and olds gear selector for the 442, but no luck. Does anybody know where i can find one?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Was it the original trans? Take it off that trans. You will also want the governor out of the 442 trans.

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
I don't have the original trans unfortunately. I do have the shifter linkage and shifter bracket.

Nov 4, 2012
I'm in the same boat as you. I need the exact same piece, only I need it for a THM200 trans.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
You guys need the shift levers for that go on the trans? Let me know I think I have a few laying around, I should have my original 200c one, the 200-4r one and a few different types of 700r-4 ones

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
Yes that would be great! If its not too much to ask, could you take a photo of the lever? Just to confirm. Please and thank you.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
This is the one I got, It came off of my 200C factory floor shift when I swapped to 700r4. Unfortunately I only have one.
photo.jpg

442Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2014
Okay. So i tried to put together the shifter linkage and all, including the shift lever i mentioned earlier, but the shifter gets hard and it is difficult to make the shifts. It starts at park but only goes to reverse, nuetral, and drive. No more.
A few months ago my shifter cable would not work so i ordered a shifter cable from ebay that said it was for a a cutlass floor shifter ,83-88 i believe, but when i received it i noticed that it was a few inches longer than the original shifter cable. I am wondering if this could be the problem.
Also, i wanted to know if anyone had a diagram, photo, or link of how they have their shifter linkage setup? This way i can compare and diagnose the problem. :|

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
442Dude said:
I don't have the original trans unfortunately. I do have the shifter linkage and shifter bracket.
Dang, should have kept the trans, its very rare and has unique guts and converter specific to the 442.
Besides the cam and rear the KZF trans is what makes the 442 unique frim all the rest...
If you know where the trans went to track it down if I were you and put it aside for a rebuild in the future.

Any floor shift gear selector will work be it 3 speed or 4 from any Gbody.
Go buy the correct cable from rockauto.com
They're cheap and that way you know its correct, eBay sucks... stuff sold on eBay is just marked up stuff found elsewhere most of the time.

Do you have the original cable bracket?

If the gear selector won't go past drive then there is an internal issue.

Here's a photo of the gear selector, the cable is for Lightning Rods so ignore that but everything else is the same.

Attachments

• lrods_Img15.jpeg
    lrods_Img15.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,664
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor