Alternator suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
I'm having my alternator replaced in a 1988 Olds. It has the stock 307 engine. Does anyone know how many amps the stock alternator is? Is the OEM alternator still available? Or, does anyone recommend upgrading to a different size/brand?

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
Do you know the K RPO codes? A/c and heated rear window?

From the MADelectrical.com site I'd guess;

12SI, 78 amp, at 9:00 (AC-DELCO #321-244, Lester #7278-9)

Tell the auto parts counter person that “The alternator is for a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 5.0L (307Y) engine.

Yes, should be easily available from a parts counter. What's the symptom that's telling you it's broke?

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks Martin. The car battery drains quickly, even when disconnecting the terminals from the battery. Since the car isn't driven much, I always disconnect the terminals, and only reconnect them when I start and run the car - which is usually once a week. A few months ago, I had AAA check the battery and alternator, and was told the alternator was the issue. Last week, I took it to the dealership for an oil change and 27 point inspection, and they reconfirmed that the alternator was the issue. So now I'm on a hunt for a new alternator, but am not sure if I should buy the same one or if a stronger once is necessary. FRY: I called the adviser earlier and confirmed that I have a 78 amp alternator. Should I upgrade? And yes, I have rear defroster.

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
One way to check (if alternator installed) and you can get the car started, is while the car is running, see if a screwdriver or something metallic will be magnetically attracted to the back of alternator. If not, the alternator's not working. Happening to me this weekend (noticed the charge gauge had bottomed out), and there was only ~9v across the battery while running.

If yours is an '88, it should just be the 12si I listed. Should be common and affordable. Viewing the back of the alternater, with the locking tensioning nut positioned @12:00 (on the imaginary clock), where does the 2-wire plug go in? @9:00 ?

You could order one from Amazon (ferchrissakes)...

ACDelco 321-244 Alternator

41NUg5PmGEL._SS500_.jpg

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Do you happen to know the part numbers for 94 amp version of the same alternator?

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
@Martin.ca: Thanks for the info. I know very little about working on cars, and am having the dealer install it. They have an AC Delco 78amp alernator for ~80 bucks.

@DoubleV - re: is the 78 amp and 94amp the same in regards to it's structure and how it bolts in? Or would the installer have to make minor modifications?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
88olds32 said:
DoubleV - re: is the 78 amp and 94amp the same in regards to it's structure and how it bolts in? Or would the installer have to make minor modifications?

They are externally identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor