Barometric pressure sensor 1983 Hurst Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
Hi everyone, I have a CCC setup on an 1983 Hurst Olds and am getting an error 32 witch is air Baro sensor low. Where is this sensor?

Thanks, Jeff

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
It's located on the passenger side wheel arch, behind the cooling reservoir. I think there are a few threads on here with regards to debugging that ckt.. Good luck.

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
I was told that was the MAP sensor. I have been researching and found something about the Barometric sensor being by the computer. Also, I find 2 parts AS6 and AS10 listed for my car. Are there 2 sensors and where is each located?

Thanks

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
foxtrot said:
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45222&p=386509&hilit=Barometric+sensor#p386509

Yep, changed that sensor and am still getting a error code 32 for a Baro pressure low fault. Map sensor codes are 34. Are there 2 sensors or just 1? If so where are they located?

Would a cam change cause this code? Also, I get a backfire rough running when the CCC distributor is plugged in but not when disconnected.

Thanks, Jeff

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
There should be two sensors in your vehicle- one the MAP sensor with a vacuum line attached to the manifold, and the other the BARO sensor with nothing attached ( Except for a small foam filter that is probably gone by now!). Physically, they look identical on the outside, so they are easy to confuse. On my Elky, the MAP sensor was located beside the distributor, on the same bracket as the EGR solenoid. The Baro sensor was mounted on the passenger wheel wheel. I know some of the G-body coupes had the BARO sensor mounted inside the cab, near the ECM. I think you could locate those by removing (lowering) the glove box. You do not want to apply vacuum to the BARO sensor. If you do, it will think you are below sea level, and give off funny readings ( and may make the car run funny). To help differentiate, look at the wire colors of the plugs. On the MAP sensor, the wires should be Blk, Lt Grn/Blk Stripe, Grey. On the BARO Sensor they should be Grey, Grey/Blk Stripe, Blk.

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
darbysan said:
There should be two sensors in your vehicle- one the MAP sensor with a vacuum line attached to the manifold, and the other the BARO sensor with nothing attached ( Except for a small foam filter that is probably gone by now!). Physically, they look identical on the outside, so they are easy to confuse. On my Elky, the MAP sensor was located beside the distributor, on the same bracket as the EGR solenoid. The Baro sensor was mounted on the passenger wheel wheel. I know some of the G-body coupes had the BARO sensor mounted inside the cab, near the ECM. I think you could locate those by removing (lowering) the glove box. You do not want to apply vacuum to the BARO sensor. If you do, it will think you are below sea level, and give off funny readings ( and may make the car run funny). To help differentiate, look at the wire colors of the plugs. On the MAP sensor, the wires should be Blk, Lt Grn/Blk Stripe, Grey. On the BARO Sensor they should be Grey, Grey/Blk Stripe, Blk.

Thanks, that helps a lot. got a service manual and it says it is behind glove box near computer. Will change.

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City
'83 uses a single sensor for both functions on the passenger wheelwell. The CCC system takes a snapshot of the barometric pressure at startup, then it functions as a MAP sensor afterwards. The dual sensor thing started in '84.

I had a similar nightmare problem when I first got my car 10 years ago, the pigtail connection to the sensor was causing issues and it kept throwing a MAP code. I had to replace the pigtail and sensor, and finally all was well (took a while to confirm the pigtail as the source). If I remember right, the aftermarket pigtails don't have one of the slots in the right place to snap into the correct '83 sensor. I had to correct it with a dremel tool and make a new slot.

jpoole

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
McKinney, TX
83hurstguy said:
'83 uses a single sensor for both functions on the passenger wheelwell. The CCC system takes a snapshot of the barometric pressure at startup, then it functions as a MAP sensor afterwards. The dual sensor thing started in '84.

I had a similar nightmare problem when I first got my car 10 years ago, the pigtail connection to the sensor was causing issues and it kept throwing a MAP code. I had to replace the pigtail and sensor, and finally all was well (took a while to confirm the pigtail as the source). If I remember right, the aftermarket pigtails don't have one of the slots in the right place to snap into the correct '83 sensor. I had to correct it with a dremel tool and make a new slot.

Thanks, do you happen to have a part number for the correct 83 one? I have tried 2 now...

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Are you saying you installed 2 different brand new ones and they both didn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor