15" to 17" wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Am considering going to 17" wheels since the 15" tire selection is total crap. If I do, I'll be going with Torq Thrust II's, 17x7 in front and 17x8 in the rear, both with 4" backspacing. I'm worried that the rear tires ( 255/45/17's ) on the 17x8's would be too close to the frame. Normally I wouldn't think this would be much of an issue as I see others with similar setups with even bigger tires with no issues, but I have multiple friends with G-Body Cutlasses, and both are running stock 15x7 ( 4" BS supposedly ) with 255 tires and they are VERY close to the frame. I'm not liking that. Thoughts?

Also, how many have swapped from a stock 14-15" wheel and went to a 17"? What were your results?

P.S. My car is lowered with Eibach lowering springs and the front is dropped a hair more too due to the adjustable uppers if any of that matters.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i would think you would be fine with the 17 as there is alot less sidewall flex as compared to a 15 "

rose350

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2013
Illinois
This is my '85 442. I'm running 245-45/R17X7 in the front with 4 1/2 bs and running 255-40/R18X8 in the rear with same bs.
36ad864e326180f58cb418ea7edd9f13_zpse996a522.jpg

I just dropped the front with 2" drop spindles and the rear with 2"drop UMI springs. The only issue I had was that the outside wheel weight up front was hitting which I could have fixed with a spacer but I just used all stick on weights. I don't have any pictures since the drop cause the car is still in the body shop.

Reactions: 1 user

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
*sigh* a shame that 15 inch tire selection is getting to be a bit scarce....

That said, what are people's thoughts on 16-inch rims on the G-body cars? I ask because it seems like people talk more about 17s than 16s.... I'd probably be keeping a modest width, say 235.

Apologies for the partial hijack...

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Thanks for starting this thread (post). I've been complaining about the lack good 15" tires for years. I even called BFG and asked them to quit making the TA (Hard Rock tires) and replace them with some soft 200's (UTQG)! The guy on the phone didn't even understand what I was talking about! And 16"ers are going the same way as 15"ers, fewer & fewer soft tires available. I've been running Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my old work car and they stick to the road very well. So I'm also considering them for the Brown Brick and that means 17s & 18s. I'm also worried about fit as I can't spend money on something that doesn't fit (rub). So I'll be watching this thread carefully. Bob Jr.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
King_V said:
*sigh* a shame that 15 inch tire selection is getting to be a bit scarce....

That said, what are people's thoughts on 16-inch rims on the G-body cars? I ask because it seems like people talk more about 17s than 16s.... I'd probably be keeping a modest width, say 235.

Apologies for the partial hijack...

Have you checked the selection of 16" tires? They are worse than 14's or 15's. Those have pretty much gone the way of the dodo.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
DoubleV said:
Am considering going to 17" wheels since the 15" tire selection is total crap. If I do, I'll be going with Torq Thrust II's, 17x7 in front and 17x8 in the rear, both with 4" backspacing. I'm worried that the rear tires ( 255/45/17's ) on the 17x8's would be too close to the frame. Normally I wouldn't think this would be much of an issue as I see others with similar setups with even bigger tires with no issues, but I have multiple friends with G-Body Cutlasses, and both are running stock 15x7 ( 4" BS supposedly ) with 255 tires and they are VERY close to the frame. I'm not liking that. Thoughts?

Also, how many have swapped from a stock 14-15" wheel and went to a 17"? What were your results?

P.S. My car is lowered with Eibach lowering springs and the front is dropped a hair more too due to the adjustable uppers if any of that matters.

I ran 17x8's all around with 245/45 fronts and 255/45 rears just fine. Front's would rub a little on the outer wheel house on big dips in the road so going with a 7" rim up front should keep from doing that. Or running an 8" rim up front with 4.5" BS which would be something I would prefer over the 7" rim.

You're going to noticed a pretty big handling improvement. It's probably one of THE simplest things you can do to get a night and day handling difference.

Back in the day:

Installed them on the '88 too just to see how they would look:

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
FE3X CLONE said:
Have you checked the selection of 16" tires? They are worse than 14's or 15's. Those have pretty much gone the way of the dodo.

I haven't, actually. I just sort of assumed (yeah, yeah, I know) that they MUST be more available than 15s... guess not!

Hrm, looks like 15s or 17s it may have to be. Damn, I wish 235/65R15 was still available.... So, it seems that 17s might be in my future. Eventually. Maybe. I really would've preferred something where I could have 60 or 65 series tires. Guess even that is considered excessive these days....

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City
With the stock rear brakes, I had 17x8's with 4.25" backspacing and a nitto 555R drag radial on it, 275 wide. Plenty of room, can easily go to a 9" wheel. With a 9.5", I'm concerned I'll be rolling the quarter panels.

I'd be worried about being in the quarter panel lips with a 4" backspace on an 8" wheel on a lowered car. JMO... when going to discs, the thickness of the rotor and spacer I had to run (3/8" gain) had the tire into the quarter lip in bump. Went back and ordered new rear wheels with 3/8" additional backspacing to get back to where I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor