3 speed Lightning Rods in a G-Body ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
I am interested in knowing if anyone has installed a set of three speed Lightning Rods with a TH-400 in their car. I read a post that stated that the rods are longer. Could the rods from a four speed L.R. be put on a three speed L.R. to keep the factory look. Is there anything else that would be a concern. I am looking at buying a nice set-up but don't want to waste the money if there is something I'm not aware of.

Thanks,
Paul

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
88hurstolds,

Did you change out the rods in your car, or use the three speed's?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
You can swap the two, they interchange, the only difference is the overall physical length.

I've had 3 sets of L-rods in my '88 CSC, first one was an NOS 3-speed setup from the original owner of the car.
I sold that set because I had plans for a 4-speed trans in the future and then installed a 3-speed set and swapped the rods out for shorter 4 speed from an NOS shifter I had.
Now I have an NOS 4-speed set in there, because I redid the interior and didn't want to wind up taking the console apart again when I swap out the trans, but lose the function of the first lever since I still have the TH-400... but that will be a built TH2004R come next summer when my 496 is finished.
I don't care not having the use of the first lever, it's only temporary and I rarely drive the car.

Heck I wouldn't mind installing a 3 speed set, or swapping in a 3 speed Cam and Chassis, into my daily driver with a TH-2004R... that way you actually get more use out of the first lever with 2-3 shifts, screw 1-2 shifts in a driver, especially if you have a shift kit.

I don't like the fact that the 4-speed shifter uses the main lever to shift from 3-4, would rather sacrifice 1-2 to get more use out of the shifter as a whole... hmm, now that has me thinking that these 3-speed shifters could be more desirable than previously though.

Perhaps I've should've kept one of the 12 sets of three speed L-rods I've owned and rebuilt over the years... :lol:

Anyone have a garbage 3-speed shifter?
I want to try this out in my '85 442, going to start driving that daily again in a couple weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
88hurstolds,

I really appreciate your experienced reply. You've got a beautiful car. Mine is going to be similar, though all black.

Thanks,
Paul

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
RCKTMN said:
I am interested in knowing if anyone has installed a set of three speed Lightning Rods with a TH-400 in their car. I read a post that stated that the rods are longer. Could the rods from a four speed L.R. be put on a three speed L.R. to keep the factory look. Is there anything else that would be a concern. I am looking at buying a nice set-up but don't want to waste the money if there is something I'm not aware of.

Thanks,
Paul
I have a set of 3 Spd in mine with a TH-400. Only thing I needed afterwards was a custom made shifter top plate for my console.

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
I ended up getting a really nice 3-speed set-up. It works flawlessly and seems to be much smoother in its operation than any of the 4-speed ones I've come across. Thanks for the replies as they helped me to pull the trigger. I look forward to pushing forward with the project this Summer. Especially now that the transmission variable is decided.

Paul

RCKTMN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2014
It came with the cable and trans bracket. I haven't had a chance to bolt it on my 400, yet. If I find that I need anything, I'll give you a shout.

Thanks,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor